Multiple Renoise instance with different preferences setup

Hello dear community,

I’ve setup an environnement with 3 renoises instances running together and I have a question regarding the preferences. I have a “Renoise Sequencer” shooting data to the 2 other instances with a proper Midi input setup in Master Clock mode. The two other instances are receiving from other midi port and are set in Slaved Clock.

The things is, each time I open my 3 Renoises environnement, I have to setup the Midi inputs and clock for each instances because the prefences are shared and every instances call back the same preference setup.

Is it possible to have a “per instance” preference setup?

Thanks in advance,

If you are up for some Lua coding this might be of value: https://github.com/Neurogami/renoise-ng/tree/master/lua/com.neurogami.Configgy.xrnx

The idea is that when a song is loaded the tool offers the option to load and execute a script specific to that song. I wrote it because I was working on a song on different machines and each of them had different names for available MIDI devices.

I got tired of resetting things by hand each time I opened the song on one or another machine, so I wrote a tool that lets me load configuration settings.

On OSX i believe you can simply take a copy of the application, and the config is stored along with the copy.

If this is not working, perhaps the simplest way would be to create a little script that you run from a console, which will choose which config file to use, basically overwriting the Renoise config before launching the program.

And I guess your MIDI setup is all good?

Because sometimes, MIDI drivers doesn’t allow multiple clients to connect. Doesn’t seem to happen very often these days, but still worth mentioning.

https://github.com/Neurogami/renoise-ng/tree/master/lua/com.neurogami.Configgy.xrnx

This is also a nice approach. I’d like the settings not to be specific to a song though.

This is also a nice approach. I’d like the settings not to be specific to a song though.

Right, so instead you might want a tool that offers menu items for different settings regardless of the current song.

Basic idea is that I think all the things you want to change for each instance of Renoise can be altered at run time via Lua, which can be triggered by custom menu items.

Basic idea is that I think all the things you want to change for each instance of Renoise can be altered at run time via Lua, which can be triggered by custom menu items.

Yes, to a certain extent. But there are things you can specify in the config that aren’t possible via the API.
For example, the ability to place the application window in a specific part of the screen, assign a specific theme, enable or disable specific tools, etc.

Here is a quick script that I whipped together for win users to try out

REM Run "Config1.xml"
set config_dir="C:\Users\Your_Name\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.0.1\"
set my_config="Config1.xml"
copy %config_dir%%my_config% %config_dir%Config.xml /Y
"C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.0.1 (x64)\Renoise.exe"
REM Run "Config2.xml"
set my_config="Config2.xml"

Edit: see also this updated version

Thanks guys for replying and sharing this. You both always seems to have solutions or search paths for my technical problems… (I’m on win7 64)

And I guess your MIDI setup is all good?

Because sometimes, MIDI drivers doesn’t allow multiple clients to connect. Doesn’t seem to happen very often these days, but still worth mentioning.

Yes, using coppelan on win. makes it easy. Master Renoise send through Vmidi 1. Copperlan pass the Vmidi 1 thru to Vmidi 2 to the second Renoise and to Vmidi 3 to the third Renoise.
I even have a Midi loop: Master Renoise send data to Max7 that comes back to Renoise by another port…

Am I right to think that Renoise will only search a file named “Config.xml” on startup?

I will try tonight…

Thanks a lot again ! :walkman:

Here is a quick script that I whipped together for win users to try out

REM Run "Config1.xml"
set my_config="Config1.xml"
REM Run "Config2.xml"
set my_config="Config2.xml"

I’m totally unfamiliar with scripting, so sorry for my dumb question. But how exactly do I use this script? Running Windows 7 and Renoise 3.1. Tried to google it, but that didn’t make me any wiser. Thanks in advance!

@iseeclouds: It’s a batch file, you can save it with the .bat extension and doubleclick to launch.

I created a gist here (updated version with support for special characters)
https://gist.github.com/bjorn-nesby/d20b6c42faadfd231b8a

Great, got this working. Feeling a bit less dumb now. :slight_smile:

Hey!

If anyone wants to run three instances of Renoise on the modern macos a-la Hitori Tori setup, here is the variation on the script above:

renoise_config_dir="/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.4.2/"
config_green="/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Renoise_configs/V3.4.2/Config_green.xml"
config_purple="/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Renoise_configs/V3.4.2/Config_purple.xml"
config_yellow="/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Renoise_configs/V3.4.2/Config_yellow.xml"
original_config="/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.4.2/Config.xml"
renoise_app="/Applications/Renoise.app/Contents/MacOS/Renoise"

# backup the original config file
cp $original_config $original_config"._backup"

# copy green config and run
cp $config_green $original_config
open -a Renoise -n
sleep 10

# copy purple config and run
cp $config_purple $original_config
open -a Renoise -n
sleep 10

# copy yellow config and run
cp $config_yellow $original_config
open -a Renoise -n

Make sure that the version is correct. And you will have update the script after each Renoise update, or modify to make it configurable.

Save this as a shell file, like launch_renoise.sh.

Run chmod +x launch_renoise.sh.

Then before running the script:

1. Run Renoise, customize the theme, make it, say, green-ish.
  2. Close Renoise (so it saves the preferences)
  3. Duplicate /Users//Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.4.2/Config.xml file . Rename the copy accordingly - I use Config_green.xmi - as in this example .
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 for 2 more (or as needed) times.
  5. Move the “colored” configs to separate directory. I put them in the : /Users//Library/Preferences/Renoise_configs/V3.4.2/ as in the example script.

Now run the script and you should be all set.

3 Likes

You may also want to make sure that backup config is in a good shape and not changed (if you care) so, after you finish working, you close all three instances and run something like this:

renoise_config_dir="/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.4.2/"
original_config="/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.4.2/Config.xml"

# restore backup

cp $original_config"._backup" $original_config
2 Likes