Native Arpeggiator Concept for Renoise

I have long been longing for a " Arpeggiator Native Effect" for Renoise.Looking for a simple arpeggiator for native effects, I would get an arpeggiator like this:

6616 native-arpeggiator-renoise.png

This arpeggiator is based in Gater (arpeggiator) of VSTi TranceDrive by Maik Menz.

Exist others arppegiators VST, charge in VST section frame below, but it would be great to have one native.To complete, it would be great a volume bar for each box (16 volume littles bars), or value input volume in each box (range 0 to 80),to be compact.

Hopefully this will could be possible!

What do you think of this?

Edited: jump here to see the final result of this idea :https://forum.renoise.com/t/native-arpeggiator-concept-for-renoise/45854

Now you can route VST arps like Cream, I cant’t see why the devs should spend time on this

Now you can route VST arps like Cream, I cant’t see why the devs should spend time on this

Really, the fact that there are VST, is no excuse to no advance development. There are also other effects VST, however, has these native Renoise effects. For example, native Reverb or native EQ or native Delay yes. Native Arpeggiator not?why?

The Cream VST costs 35€, wow, half of what it costs Renoise integer. Look the native effects of Renoise. Arpeggiator why not?If there is negativity in the development, Renoise native should have no native effect. They are already VST’s.Renoise’s greatness depends directly on these things.

The native simple Arpeggiator is how little lacks in effects section and it would be helpful.Renoise should not be limited by existing VST’s.I think.

I wouldnt create anything that clashes with phrases idea to be honest.

An arpeggiator does not belong in the DSP chain if it is supposed to arpeggiate note data. That would be best handled in instruments as a kind of phrase, I think.

I wouldnt create anything that clashes with phrases idea to be honest.

You can create phrases in Pattern Editor, also, However, there is the editor of phrases, included.This arpeggiator works throughout the track, not an instrument or sample.They could do real magic with him.In addition, most Arpeggiators are VSTi, not VST (effect).It is loaded into an instrument. And not in an entire track. This arpeggiatorI pose is for the track, not for an instrument.

All notes there on a track arpegiaddor to work at the same time.Arpeggiator and phrases does not conflict!Maybe I should call arpeggiator per track, to understand.

An arpeggiator does not belong in the DSP chain if it is supposed to arpeggiate note data. That would be best handled in instruments as a kind of phrase, I think.

I posed it as an arpeggiator to track. All notes placed on a track that work with arpeggiator, no matter the instrument. The potential is there.That’s what I raise.Think of it as a common arpeggiator for an entire track.Do not you can get an arpeggiator that works on all notes within a DSP chain or rather, within an entire track?I’m speculating.

The arpeggiators in each instrument are also part of a chain of effects.It would be like calling the arpeggiator working for each written note, in the track.

• VSTi arpegiators (Blue Arp, Cream), charge in each instrument in instrument box.
  • Native arpeggiator effect, charge in effects box bottom for each track (common arpeggiator for all notes, all instruments in track).
  • Use phrases to compose phrases, not a arpeggiata note.

This would not be possible to program under the hood of Renoise?You could make magic with it.For example, “Delay Effect” in DSP chain is not triggered in every note (all instruments)?same with the “Arpeggiator Effect”…

+1 I think even a very basic implementation could be awesome. But while the muckup looks lovely, I also think this feature belongs to the instrument.

What I mean is: currently, when you toggle “mono” for an instrument, you can already transpose notes/samples/phrases on the fly.

And this is essentially what an arpeggiator does, only it has also memorized the keys being pressed and switches between them according to some criteria.

By relying on the instrument, such a feature could be reduced to a very small set of options

• Mode - up, down, random, order (== same order as notes arrived)
  • Rate - how fast to switch between held keys (would be independant of the actual phrase tempo)
  • Gate - just program this in a phrase or control via macros - or for MIDI output, set a note duration
  • Mono/glide - obviously, this is alreadyan instrument feature
  • Latch mode (arpeggio that keeps playing once triggered) - connect a sustain pedal or add MIDI-CC device, as introduced in 3.1
  • Anything else?

As always with glide/transpose actions, it could be made to use the original sample/phrase as source.

So arpeggios being played across some kind of complex keyboard layout would simply depend on the first note that was received.

The following arpeggiator is more advanced (volume per block):

6618 native-arpeggiator-renoise2.png

To gild the lily (note selector):

6619 native-arpeggiator-renoise3.png

Deepening:

The arpeggiator work as “a button effectto randomly pressed” with the finger, following the order of 16 blocks. Simplified example:

• A note “X-X” of duration: 4 seconds (start 0, end 4: 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 seconds).
  • The arpeggiator play 16 blocks per second (16 + 16 + 16 + 16 blocks) 64 blocks or slices (depends on the speed).
  • The blue and gray blocks are to enable or disable each slide (colors depend on the theme colors of Renoise).
  • The OFF value in track stop the note at any point of the duration of the note. Logical.

Each slice or block has a volume control (range 0 to 80 or 0 to FF, both in hexadecimal).The other parameters are to refine

Besides,you could create a function in the arpeggiator to select at least 4 notes (for example), or not to select any.Selecting some notes, the arpeggiator only works on these notes. But it works on all notes on the Track (or Group), all instruments in track.

Basically the arpeggiator mutes sections of the note, or dampens down the volume, sounding fine.

The concept of this arpeggiator is to track or group, not for a loose instrument. The advantage of Renoise over other DAWs is which it is a tracker, with independent tracks, with possibility of adding effects on a set.This arpeggiator would be the most basic and while advanced that could be added:

• You could work with one instrument per track, and all arpeggiated notes (already they do this VSTi; Blue Arp, Cream…).
  • You could work with various instruments per track and all arpeggiated notes, with the same arpeggiator. Wow!
  • You could work with various instruments per track and all arpeggiated with selected notes. Wow, Wow!
  • You could work with various arpeggiators per track (4 arpeggiators with selected notes, would 16 notes arpeggiatedin 4 different ways).

At all times I’m speculating. I wonder if this is possible.It would not be surprising, would be more than that.I wish that most understand this, they matured this idea. The arpeggiator effect for trackkill several birds with one stone. For electronic music or experimental this will be revolutionary.

As a concept, “Delay Effect” and “Arpeggiator Effect” can they not work the same way within a track? Things like that could mark the future of Renoise.Explore the limits, and not settle for what is already there.

These ideas go in the direction of enhancing Renoise as tracker , without closing the mind, go beyond.

Raul: you might also want to see these old muckups by satobox which triggered a lengthy discussion

https://forum.renoise.com/t/native-arpeggiator-idea/32567

Explore the limits, and not settle for what is already there.

Yes, I tend to think about what we’ve already got and build upon that. Both approaches are valid.

Yes, I tend to think about what we’ve already got and build upon that. Both approaches are valid.

Viewing link, I understand that arises as usual: add an arpeggiator for each instrument (in Instrument Editor, not a arpeggiator effect for track/group). Will this be well within the modulation section, perhaps?

I guess this does not advance precisely because there are external VSTi arpeggiator, non-native.In fact it was the first reaction of other forum members to read this pots. But the shots were not going out there…

But what I raise is different. The arpeggiator effect in track.It would be a very easy way to add arpeggiated notes, and to play with the effects quickly. Write several notes of several instruments on the same track, and plays with a common arpeggio effect, or more.This would be more complete than basically add an arpeggiator on the instrument.And above all, easy to change.

The existing VSTi arpeggiators, some are too complex.The intent of this “Arpeggiator Native Effect” would otherwise, a simple and fast tool to manage within each track, working from the track, not from each instrument…

Imagine what you could do with this!

The Cream VST costs 35€,

Ah i have a free version from computer music. Dont get me wrong, its a good idea to have it native. But i personally would prefer dev time spent on other areas

I’d like to add that I love arpeggiators https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPPGC01AOk

Ah i have a free version from computer music. Dont get me wrong, its a good idea to have it native. But i personally would prefer dev time spent on other areas

Hi midi error

Deepening with arpeggiators be possible to find four scenarios (is necessary to differentiate between “VST” effect and “VSTi” (instrument), they are not the same!):

1. External Arpeggiator plugin MIDI , to play live along with a midi keyboard, as in the video above.It could serve to record samples with arpeggio effect, for any specific case. This already exists.

2. VSTi Arppegiator (Blue Arp, Cream, etc, etc, etc.) to charge in Instruments Box (not VST effect).For each instrument XRNI is needed to load a VSTi and configure it.This already exists.

3. Native Arpeggiator for each instrument.Possibly could be added in the Modulation Sectionof each instrument. This does not exist(this is what everyone seems to want, and replaces the need to add an external arpeggiator VSTi).

4. Native Arpeggiator effect for each track/group (a simple and fast arpeggiator). What I propose in this post.This does not exist, andrevolutionize the way we use the tracks/groups.The advantages are bestial, if raised well.In summary:

• You can edit the pattern editor and try not arpeggiated notes and arpeggiated a single instrument or set of instruments, playing with the tracks and groups.

• You can use multiple tracks to combine. Having imagination.You can do wonders. Many people want to buy Renoise simply because it has an arpeggiator effect with the power of working on tracks/groups with all instruments at once , or by selecting specific notes.It would be something unique that any DAW, because the rest are not trackers.It means empowering the tracker, not the Instrument Box.Add this under the hood of Renoise, then add this under the hood of Redux, and would be a good push!

• Point 3 (Native Arpeggiator for each instrument),already it has been raised many times in forums (as Danoise the link above). I guess it has not been donebecause replaces the point 2 (VSTi Arpeggiator).I do not seem at all a waste of time developers invirtiran time on this issue. Absolutely.

• In Point 1 (External Arpeggiator plugin MIDI), you can do the samewith any VSTi synthesizer (virtual, not a pluggin MIDI)which includes an arpeggiator in its chain of DSP (Omnisphere 2, Spire 1, Sylenth1 or TranceDrive… etc, etc, etc, etc…), and use Renoise to record each sample if preferred.This is a bit absurd, but it would do things to try.You can also use the arpeggiator VSTi directly and go.

• The Point 4 (Native Arpeggiator effect for each track/group)It not even has been raised, I believe, by the mania to close the mind and think that the arpeggiator always have to be associated with a single instrument, because that’s what you always see.And this need not be so.Renoise has a bestial potential because it is a trackerand you can still add and improve many things in the Pattern Editor (I talk about the tracks and groups).

You could also add to the time the Point 3 and the Point 4, and there would be no problem. But that is not what is discussed here.Arpeggiators are widely used in electronic music.Any time spent here is not wasted time. Do not mention it ^_^.

I’d like to add that I love arpeggiators https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPPGC01AOk

Nice video!!!I love those things!!!

This would be a more advanced and comprehensive Arpeggiator Effect…

6636 native-arpeggiator-renoise4.png

Basically adds the selection of “volume”, “panning” and “pitch” for each slice or block (16 blocks in total). Each blockalso marks the level as a visual aid.It would be a somewhat sophisticated arpeggiator, but also very simple and quick to use time. Of course, appear on the list of effects on the left.

Arpeggiator Effect (DSP chain effects in Track/Group). Summary of all functions (referente the “Gater” of TranceDrive VSTi and the Renoise own):

• Arpeggiator enable/disable button.Obviously.
  • Profile drop-down list allows you to save personal profiles. Just like the other native effects.
  • Speed selector (values: 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1/1 or more…).
  • Sync enable/disable button.
  • Smooth bar (range 0.000 to 1.000).
  • Mix or Mixer bar (range 0.000 to 1.000).
  • Gate bar (range 0.000 to 1.000).
  • Selected Notes enable/disable button (disable, the arpeggiator work with all notes).
  • 5 lists for select 5 notes (notes not selected, not arpeggiated).
  • 16 top selectors values, one for each block or slide.
  • 16 lower blocks or slides (blue color= value, gray color= NA value), left click mouse, active value default (volume=0db, panning=80(center) and Pitch= 0). right click mouse, deactive block (grey color/ values in NA)
  • Volume button selected to blocks (range values 00 (-INF) to FF (+3db), in hexadecimal).
  • Panning button selected to blocks(range vaules 00 = full left… 80 = center… FF = full right, in hexadecimal).
  • Pitch button selected to blocks(range values -80… 0… +80, in hexadecimal, for example).

I would pay a full new Renoise license if added one arpeggiator efect like this.It would be a joy, and widely used, no doubt!!!

Would require developers are encouraged with this topic…

Have you used BlueARP?

http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35

its pretty pretty good

Have you used BlueARP?

http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35

its pretty pretty good

Yes, and it’s not the only one. Blue Arp is one more.It fits for individual instruments Renoise. If you want to carry 10 arpeggiated instruments, you must load 10 Blue Arp, and set up one by one :wacko:.There are also many virtual instruments that includes its own arpeggiator effect. But this post is not about that.

Every time you talk to any addition, as an effect of native apegiador, there are always forum members suggest some VSTi. But that is not the question. Put “vst arpeggiator” in Googleimage search.Oh my goodness!You’ll have to arpeggiators everywhere… https://www.google.es/search?q=vst+arpeggiator&safe=off&espv=2&biw=2133&bih=1061&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQh4mZ0obMAhVGtxQKHcT1BTEQ_AUIBygC&dpr=0.9

Renoise deserves a native arpeggiator effect, it works with the tracks/groups. Just it is wonderful!!! :lol:

Have you raised how work an arpeggiator effect like the one I propose in this post?It would be simple and he would eatall these arpeggiators they are appearing in Google. You think about the tracks and groups, not individual instruments…

I do not want to say the following (avoid tangling the topic). But I’ll do it equally…

Imagine that the Renoise Team develops an Arpeggiator Effect for tracks/groups, with all the features described above, throughout this topic (follow the images).In this case, there would be no problemto add also this Arpeggiator Effectin the FX Chain in Intrument Editor, and copy DSP Chain in track/group or FX Chain in each instrument, even drag and drop,jumping the track effects chain to chain effects of the instrument and vice versa, just like a delay effect,for example.Within each instrument, you could load as many arpeggiators as existing notes, each on a different FX chain.

If only serve to load into a single instrument, then not reaching its full potential, it would be a bit absurd (VSTi’s already available). The interesting thing is to work within an entire track or an entire group , for all written notes of any instrument that sound on the track/group (or ability to select them). This approach is not the same as any existing VSTi. It has more advantages.Even if it is a basic Arpeggiator Effect.

I honestly don’t see how this could work as a FX, as opposed to part of the instrument? You want to arpeggiate note data, right? Not an audio stream. Mmh…