New Tool (3.1) : Track Groove ( Xmas 2016! )

It`s been a while but I’ve had another burst of scripting in time for the festive season!

This is my take on per-track-groove:

Download:

https://files.renoise.com/forum/uploads/7162-ledger.scripts.TrackGroove_V0.53.xrnx

Keyboard Shortcut:
Global:Tools :Track Groove

Tools Menu:
Tools:Ledger`s Scripts:Track Groove

• The first 3 rotaries control lines 0,2,4,5,7…etc which I call the ‘Beat Rows’ And the second 3 control the even rows 1,3,5,7,9,… labelled ‘Swing rows’ - The tool assumes 4lpb as with global groove.

• The [X] buttons clear the columns which the associated rotaries point to. They don`t clear the whole column but just the rows of the column that the particular rotary effects (odd or even).

• The Realtime Record changes the mode of the tool so you can record varying values as you scroll down the track. You can get some nice modulation and humanisation of values this way.

The first thing to try to get a basic groove is: add your notes to the track first and play with the bottom two left rotaries (velocity and Delay) on something like some hihats or an arpeggiated bassline, then experiment from there.

Related Tool: Groove Control

My Other Scripts:

Changelog

v0.53

• code tidy/ minor fixes_

• menu added:_ Tools:Ledger`s Scripts : Track Groove

1 Like

ey, sounds good, though trying to move the dials, switching to the master track, checking the global groove sliders I got;

C:\Users\pluge\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\ledger.scripts.TrackGroove.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (scripts) for assistance…

std::logic_error: ‘the given track supports no note_columns.’

stack traceback:

C: in function ‘__newindex’

[string “do…”]:22: in function <[string “do…”]:9>

main.lua:442: in function main.lua:425

at the moment I can’t seem to get the swing row dials to do anything, no matter if I try to record realtime or not. The top dials controlling velocity, pan and delay do work. Dunno if bug or I’m doing something wrong here?

edit;

also, where can I find it in the context menu’s? It’s not present in the tool tab or if I right mouse click in the pattern editor window…hooked it up to a keyboard shortcut right now.

edit2; wait a minute, the tool doesn’t auto-insert values, it works on the values already present in the pattern editor :slight_smile: .

Thanks for the report,

re: the second row of dials, have you definitely got notes on any of the swing lines i.e: 01,03,05…etc?

I caught myself out with this once before as the tool only adds values when there are notes present. I chose this way as things can start looking a bit busy/messy in the pattern editor when values are added to empty lines.

• I`ll add a tool menu entry aswell, just forgot in the first alpha

if there are no note events on the odd rows, but there are values it also seems to work, got this though;

‘C:\Users\pluge\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\ledger.scripts.TrackGroove.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (scripts) for assistance…

std::logic_error: ‘Unexpected volume value: ‘129’. Expected a value below 127 or an effect byte (9-Z) followed by a value byte (0-F)’

stack traceback:

C: in function ‘__newindex’

[string “do…”]:22: in function <[string “do…”]:9>

main.lua:482: in function main.lua:425

edit;

for a future update imo it would be nice to have an option to have it work relatively on the values already present in the pattern editor instead of brute force overwriting with the same value. Something to consider maybe?

New Alpha 0.53 uploaded in OP.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-track-groove-xmas-2016/47139

–code tidy/ minor fixes

–menu added:

Tools:Ledger`s Scripts : Track Groove

if there are no note events on the odd rows, but there are values it also seems to work, got this though;

This is now changed There now definitely has to be a note value present. icouldn`t replicate the bug, but have had a code tidy so maybe caught it in there. Please keep me posted.

edit;

for a future update imo it would be nice to have an option to have it work relatively on the values already present in the pattern editor instead of brute force overwriting with the same value. Something to consider maybe?

Definitely seems something to consider, so that a present groove/ humanisation can be kept and then the tool could scale it.

Definitely seems something to consider, so that a present groove/ humanisation can be kept and then the tool could scale it.

Awesome :yeah:.

This tool is excellent for quickly creating slurring, offbeat kinda feel hihats in hiphop beats, loving it.

Would more control over when an even or uneven patternline is affected be something for a future update to look at? Just like you can control editstep values in Renoise, skipping x amount of lines, be able to only affect Nth even or uneven step. This way you can skip the even or uneven values you’d like to keep intact ( e.g; 4 to the floor kick pattern on lpb of four; have kicks on 0, 4, 8, 12 etc unaffected, but be able to move the hihats on 2,6,10,14 etc). Unlimited bonus points if a negative delay dial value in the tool, could move up note-events in the pattern editor, auto calculating the correct delay column value offset :drummer: .

This tool is excellent for quickly creating slurring, offbeat kinda feel hihats in hiphop beats, loving it.

:slight_smile: Don’t forget Djeroek ‘Everything Requires Groove!!’. - At least I’m going a bit mad with it at the moment. Here, chord stabs and basslines have been far to quantised til now!

Would more control over when an even or uneven patternline is affected be something for a future update to look at? Just like you can control editstep values in Renoise, skipping x amount of lines, be able to only affect Nth even or uneven step. This way you can skip the even or uneven values you’d like to keep intact ( e.g; 4 to the floor kick pattern on lpb of four; have kicks on 0, 4, 8, 12 etc unaffected, but be able to move the hihats on 2,6,10,14 etc)

More control over effected lines, could be an option too. The issue really is to experiment on implementation. I’m generally trying keep tools fairly focused, but if extra options do result in quicker, useful results then they`re definitely worth having.

I’ve been thinking about this issue recently with demoing payware VSTs. When I demo I tend to try out lots of options and ‘imagine’ them in my workflow. A couple of months after purchase I look back and see I haven’t touched half the options I’d convinced myself that I would, and have slipped into a a convenient/ lazy workflow. :rolleyes: . I kind of wish I could remain in demoing mode all the time, as I know I’d get a lot more out of what I have. Having said that it`s great to have tools/ plugs that get you too a decent place fast, particulary if they combine a lot of steps that you have to do regularly into something simple.

I may experiment with this for an update.

Unlimited bonus points if a negative delay dial value in the tool, could move up note-events in the pattern editor, auto calculating the correct delay column value offset :drummer: .

This unfortunately could be come quite a mess quickly. The trouble being that when the notes get moved up a row then they become subject to the other set of sliders. A way around this at the moment is to put odd rows in a separate track from even rows. Maybe a way to do it would be to have an option for the tool to only effect single columns at a time and to have a button that would first split even from odd rows into their own columns first. Then you just navigate the columns and shift the notes around as you like.