Completely programmed from scratch, the Piano Roll Studio, also known as PRS is a «customizable window tool» with multiple viewing and editing capabilities, focused on the extensive mouse use, exclusive to the DAW Renoise (64 bit, v3.3.2). PRS is a «classical piano roll» that concentrates its potential in controlling 7 important viewing and editing branches in parallel with Renoise:
- Note monitoring. The PRS allows you to view a complete Pattern-Track with differentiation of Note Columns or an entire Pattern (all existing Note Tracks) to visually understand the composition, using the track colors.
- Identification and location of notes and effect parameters. Visually, it is possible to easily jump between the Pattern Editor of Renoise and the Note Editor of the Piano Roll Studio or vice versa, to locate notes and parameters, without getting lost along the way.
- Complete Note Editor. PRS allows you to edit Note Blocks directly and quickly, individually or in groups, with simple or complex editing operations. Click, drag, stretch, shorten, transpose, translate, everything is possible… even preview notes or chords directly.
- Complete Effects Parameter Editor. PRS allows you to load, insert or edit any type of effect parameter, in the Volume, Pan, Delay, Sample Effects sub-columns or the Effects columns of the tracks. The Parameters Editor (lower panel) is directly linked to the Note Editor (upper Grid) with full correspondence between both. It even allows you to easily create or edit curves with Click and drag.
- Building and editing of chords through the Piano. PRS works extensively with chords, offering 60 different chords, with a customizable chord groove. Insert or edit chords as if you were only inserting a single note!
- Transposition Scales for note editing. PRS allows you to load and display any Transposition Scale of the instrument for the 10 octaves of the piano, working with both individual notes and chords.
- Magnificent control with a variety of peripherals. The editing and operation of the Piano Roll Studio can be controlled with an alphanumeric keyboard + mouse, with a MIDI controller + mouse, with an alphanumeric keyboard + MIDI controller + mouse. Additionally, the supported mouse (and its software) can use «macros» and «keystroke mapping» to increase direct control.
Piano Roll Studio. Notes Editing Mode
The Piano Roll Studio offers a classic design, well ordered, easy to understand and control considering its complexity. Fully customizable “on the fly”, it has a familiar panel layout, with song progress playing horizontally. It is designed to hinder as little as possible due to its floating window character. Above is a Top Control Bar, below is a ruler with markers. In the middle area, on the left, is the upright piano, accompanied by the right Grid to display and edit the Note Blocks. At the bottom is the Parameter Editor panel, accompanied by a left panel to navigate between Notes and Effects Columns and to be able to switch between parameters. PRS prioritizes the importance of using effect parameters, moving away from possible simple piano roll layouts, which are little more than note editors. The Parameter Editor is a key point of the program.
PRS is probably the best note and parameter editor ever built as a comprehensive external tool for Renoise. The Piano Roll Studio takes full advantage of the capabilities of the API of this DAW, and more importantly, respects the peculiarities of Renoise while being very minimally invasive. A piano roll for Renoise should never be conceived as a separate program. According to its creator, ulneiz, the Piano Roll Studio has been programmed largely to be able to obtain and use the Parameter Editor (that lower panel of the tool window).
The Piano Roll Studio gathers a large number of requests or wishes from a multitude of Renoise users in recent years who have always wanted a «classic» piano roll effective to use as a support in conjunction with Renoise to solve your most complex compositions. At the same time, its design and features are clear proof of ulneiz thinking. Strongly designed for use with the mouse, almost 95% of the Piano Roll Studio window surface can be interacted with by the mouse pointer (click and wheel).
Piano Roll Studio. An original tool for Renoise.
This new software, programmed from scratch and fully tested by ulneiz, has been in private development for more than 13 months, in parallel and coexisting with the development or maintenance of other tools, before finishing the first release version, version 1.0. The Piano Roll Studio brings great value and boost to Renoise and it turns out to be a great complement that also covers some shortcomings that this DAW has, more oriented to control using keyboard commands.
If you as a composer are looking for a serious piano roll to use alongside Renoise, the Piano Roll Studio is the perfect candidate. Combine both worlds (tracker + piano roll) to improve your workflow!
The PRS program is distributed in 64-bit XRNX format through a «Demo Version», free of charge, so that any user can test it. PRS is also available as a «Full Version», which requires a Custom User License.
- Piano Roll Studio, Demo Version. The demo version has exactly the same functionalities as the full version, but with limited trial time and a floating counter window. That is, it is not a shortened version but it is for a limited time. You will be able to test all its features, but it will only take a few minutes to do so. Once the stipulated time has elapsed, the tool will lock up. If you want to continue using the tool, get the Full Version.
- Piano Roll Studio, Full Version. The Demo Version uses the same installation package as the Full Version, but the Full Version is 100% functional, with no limitations. The Full Version of Piano Roll Studio only requires a Custom Use License that is installed manually. If you are interested, please contact the author «ulneiz» to obtain your Custom User License.
Contact with “ulneiz” to get de Full Version of Piano Roll Studio: Go to https://forums.renoise.com/ & search «ulneiz» user (to contact you much be registered inside the forums).
Please, if you are interested in the PRS, read the User’s Manual. It is available in the Spanish language and translated into English language. Practically all the details are explained inside of the User’s Manual. The User’s Manual is also accessible from the tool (in the tool’s installation package).
Download the User’s Manual of Piano Roll Studio v1.0.264 (HTML format)
Download the Demo Version of Piano Roll Studio v1.0.264 (XRNX format)
The “Full Version” comes with all the capabilities of this tool and without any restriction. This Full Version requires a “Personalized Use License”, through a “Registration File” which costs 20€ (euros).
If you are interested in getting the Full Version and thus support the developer, send me a private message and I will inform you of the details…
Please, seriously consider supporting the development and maintenance of the Piano Roll Studio buying a license. Keep in mind that it takes a lot of time, effort and money to build!!!
As usual… enjoy it!
Piano Roll Studio v1.0.264 (January 2022):
- Initial Release.