Completely programmed from scratch, the Piano Roll Studio, also known as PRS is a «customizable window tool» with multiple viewing and editing capabilities, focused on the extensive mouse use, exclusive to the DAW Renoise) (64 bit, v3.4.1). PRS is a «classical piano roll» that concentrates its potential in controlling 7 important viewing and editing branches in parallel with Renoise:
- Note monitoring. The PRS allows you to view a complete Pattern-Track with differentiation of Note Columns or an entire Pattern (all existing Note Tracks) to visually understand the composition, using the track colors. It also allows Horizontal Zoom of 20 steps.
- Identification and location of notes and effect parameters. Visually, it is possible to easily jump between the Pattern Editor of Renoise and the Note Editor of the Piano Roll Studio or vice versa, to locate notes and parameters, without getting lost along the way.
- Complete Note Editor. PRS allows you to edit Note Blocks directly and quickly, individually or in groups, with simple or complex editing operations. Click, drag, stretch, shorten, transpose, translate, everything is possible… even preview notes or chords directly.
- Complete Effects Parameter Editor. PRS allows you to load, insert or edit any type of effect parameter, in the Volume, Pan, Delay, Sample Effects sub-columns or the Effects columns of the tracks. The Parameters Editor (lower panel) is directly linked to the Note Editor (upper Grid) with full correspondence between both. It even allows you to easily create or edit curves with Click and drag.
- Building and editing of chords through the Piano. PRS works extensively with chords, offering 60 different chords, with a customizable chord groove. Insert or edit chords as if you were only inserting a single note!
- Transposition Scales for note editing. PRS allows you to load and display any Transposition Scale of the instrument for the 10 octaves of the piano, working with both individual notes and chords.
- Magnificent control with a variety of peripherals. The editing and operation of the Piano Roll Studio can be controlled with an alphanumeric keyboard + mouse, with a MIDI controller + mouse, with an alphanumeric keyboard + MIDI controller + mouse. Additionally, the supported mouse (and its software) can use «macros» and «keystroke mapping» to increase direct control.
Piano Roll Studio. Notes Editing Mode
The Piano Roll Studio offers a classic design, well ordered, easy to understand and control considering its complexity. Fully customizable “on the fly”, it has a familiar panel layout, with song progress playing horizontally. It is designed to hinder as little as possible due to its floating window character. Above is a Top Control Bar, below is a ruler with markers. In the middle area, on the left, is the upright piano, accompanied by the right Grid to display and edit the Note Blocks. At the bottom is the Parameter Editor panel, accompanied by a left panel to navigate between Notes and Effects Columns and to be able to switch between parameters. PRS prioritizes the importance of using effect parameters, moving away from possible simple piano roll layouts, which are little more than note editors. The Parameter Editor is a key point of the program.
PRS is probably the best note and parameter editor with zoom capabilities ever built as a comprehensive external tool for Renoise. The Piano Roll Studio takes full advantage of the capabilities of the API of this DAW, and more importantly, respects the peculiarities of Renoise while being very minimally invasive. A piano roll for Renoise should never be conceived as a separate program. According to its creator, ulneiz, the Piano Roll Studio has been programmed largely to be able to obtain and use the Parameter Editor (that lower panel of the tool window).
The Piano Roll Studio gathers a large number of requests or wishes from a multitude of Renoise users in recent years who have always wanted a «classic» piano roll effective to use as a support in conjunction with Renoise to solve your most complex compositions. At the same time, its design and features are clear proof of ulneiz thinking. Strongly designed for use with the mouse, almost 95% of the Piano Roll Studio window surface can be interacted with by the mouse pointer (click and wheel).
Piano Roll Studio. An original tool for Renoise.
This new software, programmed from scratch and fully tested by ulneiz, has been in private development for more than 13 months, in parallel and coexisting with the development or maintenance of other tools, before finishing the first release version, version 1.0. The Piano Roll Studio brings great value and boost to Renoise and it turns out to be a great complement that also covers some shortcomings that this DAW has, more oriented to control using keyboard commands.
If you as a composer are looking for a serious piano roll to use alongside Renoise, the Piano Roll Studio is the perfect candidate. Combine both worlds (tracker + piano roll) to improve your workflow!
The PRS program is distributed in 64-bit XRNX format through a «Demo Version», free of charge, so that any user can test it. PRS is also available as a «Full Version», which requires a Custom User License.
- Piano Roll Studio, Demo Version. The demo version has exactly the same functionalities as the full version, but with limited trial time and a floating counter window. That is, it is not a shortened version but it is for a limited time. You will be able to test all its features, but it will only take a few minutes to do so. Once the stipulated time has elapsed, the tool will lock up. If you want to continue using the tool, get the Full Version.
- Piano Roll Studio, Full Version. The Demo Version uses the same installation package as the Full Version, but the Full Version is 100% functional, with no limitations. The Full Version of Piano Roll Studio only requires a Custom Use License that is installed manually. If you are interested, please contact the author «ulneiz» to obtain your Custom User License (see below, point 4).
Please, if you are interested in the PRS, read the User’s Manual. It is available in the Spanish language and translated into English language. Practically all the details are explained inside of the User’s Manual. The User’s Manual is also accessible from the tool (in the tool’s installation package).
Download the User’s Manual of Piano Roll Studio v3.0.378 (HTML format)
Download the User’s Manual of Piano Roll Studio v2.1.298 (HTML format)
Download the User’s Manual of Piano Roll Studio v2.0.293 (HTML format)
Download the User’s Manual of Piano Roll Studio v1.1.271 (HTML format)
Download the User’s Manual of Piano Roll Studio v1.1.270 (HTML format)
Download the User’s Manual of Piano Roll Studio v1.0.264 (HTML format)
Download the Demo Version of Piano Roll Studio v3.0.378 (XRNX format)
Download the Demo Version of Piano Roll Studio v2.1.298 (XRNX format)
Download the Demo Version of Piano Roll Studio v2.0.293 (XRNX format)
Download the Demo Version of Piano Roll Studio v1.1.271 (XRNX format)
Download the Demo Version of Piano Roll Studio v1.1.270 (XRNX format)
Download the Demo Version of Piano Roll Studio v1.0.264 (XRNX format)
The “Full Version” comes with all the capabilities of this tool and without any restriction. This Full Version requires a “Personalized Use License”, through a “Registration File” which costs 20€ (euros).
If you are interested in getting the Full Version and thus support the developer, send me a Private Message and I will inform you of the details…
If you have a Personalized Use License for PRE (Piano Roll Editor), you can get the Piano Roll Studio with a 40% discount. The “Registration File” costs 12€ (euros). Discount available until June 30, 2022. If this is your case, let me know with a PM if you are interested…
Please, seriously consider supporting the development and maintenance of the Piano Roll Studio buying a license. Keep in mind that it takes a lot of time, effort and money to build!!!
As usual… enjoy it!
Piano Roll Studio v3.0.378 (May 2022):
- Added: Important new feature to perform Horizontal Zoom of the Grid with 20 or 10 steps (21 or 11 horizontal sizes). By default, it does not show any Horizontal Zoom (0). This allows the width to be reduced to about 1/3 at Minimum Horizontal Zoom (-12).
- Added: Preferences/GUI. Window Config: new options of “Image Monitor Limit” to custom a resolution & scale to limit the area of the PRS window.
- Changed: Chords: The “Custom” Chord now allows up to 12 notes. Before it was limited to 7 notes.
- Added: Chords: now there are 4 customizable Chords: “Custom 1”, “Custom 2”, “Custom 3”, “Custom 4”.
- Added: Chords: new Chords of two notes: “5 dim”, “5”, “5 aug”. Before there was only “5”.
- Modified: Vertical Piano: Now the Base Note of the chord can be moved from the Vertical Piano with [CTRL SHIFT] + Wheel.
- Changed: Preferences/Miscellaneous: “Lock Ruler Wheel” is now “Look Ruler Zoom”. To safety control disable the Wheel action for the Ruler Horizontal Zoom.
- Added: Preferences/Miscellaneous: new “Ruler Zoom x2” checkbox. This option doubles the speed of the Ruler Horizontal Zoom.
- Added: Preferences/MIDI Control: new HZ knob to control the Horizontal Zoom.
- Changed: Ruler: The mouse Wheel now change the Horizontal Zoom of the Grid with 20 or 10 steps.
- Changed: Ruler: The command [CTRL] + Wheel now change the Horizontal Zoom of the Grid directly between Maximum Horizontal Zoom & Minimum Horizontal Zoom.
- Changed: Ruler: The command [ALT] + Wheel now change the measurement steps (beats) with ±1.
- Removed: Ruler: The “Ruler Position Marker” has been removed to make the Ruler control easier and cleaner.
- Modified: The load of the next pattern now relies on a small delay timer to ease it.
- Added: Preferences/Note Block & Grid Options: new “Time” valuebox in milliseconds to “Next in Song Playback” to load the next pattern.
- Added: Preferences/Miscellaneous: new “Steal Cursor Keys” checkbox. This option control the Vertical Piano & the Horizontal Zoom, replacing the typical controls of Renoise for line & track navigation.
- Added: Preferences/Theme: RGB Colors: new button “Restore x item Color” (the “Restore All Theme Profile” button has been moved from its place).
- Added: Preferences/GUI: Window Config: new buttons to capture the Oct x Lns & Horizontal Zoom & Parameter Editor Vertical Zoom for window configuration.
- Improved: Preferences: some valueboxes now include the units of measure (ms, st, EC…).
- Fixed: The “Vertical Piano Chaser” keeps notes highlighted in some unwanted case, such as using selection to clear an area with note blocks.
- Added: The SHIFT-CTRL-ALT monitor from the top bar now includes the state of all keys. This helps to visualize & memorize the most used command combinations.
- Modified: the SHIFT-CTRL-ALT monitor from the top bar now can be set each state from the mouse. The mouse button now allows resetting all 3 states to disabled. Therefore, it is possible to control these modifier keys from the mouse, without using the alphanumeric keyboard.
- Fixed: The latent state of the SHIFT-CTRL-ALT monitor from the top bar can stay active. It should be deactivated.
- Fixed: Preferences/Edit Options: The “Clear Note-Off Only” checkbox prevents the correct operation of the “Drag Pitch Freely” option.
- Added: It is now possible to hide/show the Parameter Editor (bottom panel).
- Improved: The Restore/Maximize Window button from the top bar now includes Hide/Show the Piano Roll with [SHIFT F12] or Hide/Show the Parameter Editor with [CTRL F12] or Minimize/Restore with [ALT F12]. Also works with the MIDI Control panel.
- Improved: Selector Mode 1: “Paste from Clipboard” now detects the base note & destination note with transposition.
- Improved: Selector Mode 4: “Add Rows” now more efficiently controls the insertion or removal of Note-Offs.
- Improved: Selector Mode 6: convert the current note column to chord now correctly cuts off at the end of the selection using Note-Offs.
- Changed: Selector Mode 6: “Detect the Chord” is not “Detect or Steal Chord” It is now possible to “steal” a non-existing already written Chord in the list if an unconfigured Custom Chord is selected in the list (load the already written Chord into the Custom Chord for reuse).
- Improved: Selector Mode 8: the loop of a pattern selection now works by overflowing the surface of the next pattern.
- Improved: The “Oct” & “Lns” values now show two decimal places for better fit accuracy.
- Fixed: Parameter Editor Panel: Panning. A visual error occurs when modifying a vertical bar R-L (panning parameter) over a full vertical bar (other parameters).
- Fixed: Parameter Editor Panel: Volume or Panning. Return a invalid maximum volume string or maximum panning string in the vertical bars with amount <=F (hexadecimal).
- Fixed: With the PRS in the foreground, in some cases some key commands return operations in the pattern editor when they should never happen. This happens with pressing and holding the key command.
- Added: The Note Block icon for “Note Block Length” now has a blink indicator (flicker visual effect) for values greater than 0.
- Added: New visual scrolling effects in the top information bar & in the logo inside About PRS.
- Modified: Superior controls bar: the switch of Note Edition Mode or Song Playback Mode now also shows the activated Edit Mode (Pattern Editor) in yellow, when it is in Song Playback Mode.
- Changed: New commands [SHIFT CTRL F1] to [SHIFT CTRL F12] to change the number of cells of the Note Block Length. They were previously [CTRL F1] to [CTRL F12].
- Added: New commands [SHIFT ALT F1] to [SHIFT ALT F12] to control the Note/Effect Columns the same as the 1-12 0-8 navigation pad.
- Added: Preferences/MIDI Control: New “MIDI Mapping Files” panel. It allows to manage the XRNM MIDI mapping files easily, with load, clear, save & open the containing folder “…/xrnm”.
- Changed: Preferences/MIDI Control: The panel of “Knobs & Pads Controls” has been remodeled & expanded. Includes new descriptions.
- Changed: Preferences/MIDI Control: New “PAD 14 + PAD 15 + PAD 1” to “PAD 14 + PAD 15 + PAD 12” to execute the commands [SHIFT CTRL F1] to [SHIFT CTRL F12] to change the number of cells of the Note Block Length. They were previously [CTRL F1] to [CTRL F12].
- Added: Preferences/MIDI Control: New “PAD 14 + PAD 16 + PAD 1” to “PAD 14 + PAD 16 + PAD 12” to execute the commands [SHIFT ALT F1] to [SHIFT ALT F12] to control the Note/Effect Columns the same as the 1-12 0-8 navigation pad.
- Added: Preferences/MIDI Control: New knob “HZm” for Horizontal Zoom control.
- Added: Preferences/MIDI Control: New knob “Pno” for Piano control & edition. This knob allows you to edit new notes and is very useful for correcting existing notes.
- Added: Preferences/MIDI Control: New knob “Pos” for Position Navigation (LPB, Sequence, Line) & locate notes with “Search Nte”. Also to clean the entire line.
- Added: Preferences/MIDI Control: New knob “Trk” for Track Navigation & Note Columns controls. Also to undo/redo.
- Added: New messages being included for the top bar, with special attention on Selector Modes.
- Fixed: The mouse indicator button sometimes did not show the illuminated on/off state with some click actions.
- Improved: Part of the code has ben revised.
- Modified: The User’s Manual has been revised & updated.
- Modified: The preferences file “preferences.xml” has changed with more options. It is not possible to use a preferences file from previous versions.
- Reminder: If you have an expired license registration version due to changes in version 2, you can request a new one from the author.
Piano Roll Studio v2.1.298 (April 2022):
- Added: Preferences/GUI. Window Config: new checkbox to «Vertical Piano Chaser». Lights up the keys when triggering the Notes in the Play Position (use the RGB color of the Tracks).
- Added: New command [CTRL 1] to change the «Vertical Piano Chaser».
- Added: New command [ALT 1] to change the «Group in Song Play» (only for Song Playback Mode).
- Added: New commands [CTRL F1] to [CTRL F12] to change the number of cells of the Note Block Length.
- Added: MIDI Control: new «PAD 15 + PAD 13» to execute the command [CTRL 1] to change the «Vertical Piano Chacher».
- Added: MIDI Control: new «PAD 16 + PAD 13» to execute the command [ALT 1] to change the «Group in Song Play» (only for Song Playback Mode).
- Added: MIDI Control: new «PAD 15 + PAD 1» to «PAD 15 + PAD 12» to execute the commands [CTRL F1] to [CTRL F12] to change the number of cells of the Note Block Length.
- Improved: Ruler: The «Ruler Position Marker» now works finer with [CTRL] + Click & drag horizontally. It will only work when the Grid is not scrolling.
- Added: New messages being included for the top bar.
- Modified: The User’s Manual has been revised & updated.
Piano Roll Studio v2.0.293 (March 2022):
- Added: Full compatibility with Renoise v3.4.1 & later.
- Added: Ruler: new “Ruler Position Marker” Permanently mark a line for reference with [CTRL] + Click & drag horizontally. It will display the same color as the song play position.
- Added: Preferences/GUI. Window Config: new checkbox to show the “Ruler Position Marker”.
- Added: New control panel for randomizing amounts in the Effects Parameter Editor. Allows randomizing any selected parameter by establishing a range (Max-Min), from the selected line onwards.
- Modified: The randomization of notes with Multiple Selection Mode (5) now adjusts to the transpose scale of the selected instrument.
- Modified: The transpose up/down with Multiple Selection Mode (2) now adjusts to the transpose scale of the selected instrument.
- Improved: The clear Note Blocks with Multiple Selection Mode (1) now analyzes and removes lost Note-Offs.
- Improved: Note-Offs treatment for Chords: The Note-Off insertion with [SHIFT ALT] + Click and drag now works for all Note Blocks of the selected Chord.
- Added: New transpose scale adjustment button. When selecting a transpose scale, this button will appear. Allows you to realign existing note blocks in the pattern-track within the transpose scale of the selected instrument.
- Added: Preferences Windows: new section “Note Block & Grid Options”.
- Added: Preferences Windows: new behavior of the right checkboxes to hide/show the subpanels. Now with [CTRL] + Click you can hide/show the rest of the subpanels at the same time.
- Modified: Preferences Window: now the visible/hidden state of each section also is remembered.
- Modified: The note block RGB color difference between the selected note column & the rest of the note columns is now slightly larger to differentiate them. This is a very subtle adjustment.
- Added: Preferences/GUI. Window Config: new checkbox to “Group in Song Play”. Display only the Tracks within the “Parent Group” to Song Playback Mode. Allows to isolate each Group.
- Added: Effects Parameter Editor: new panel of line & delay time in milliseconds. This panel appears when you click on any delay bar. It allows to calculate exactly the trigger times of the notes & to synchronize & readjust the negative delay of the track.
- Added: Preferences/Theme. RGB Colors: new button “Restore All Theme Profile”. Restore the selected Theme Profile completely to the default RGB colors.
- Improved: The Note block selection in Selection Mode (2) (Multiple Transpose) is now more consistent when the user attempts to transpose & translate individual Note Blocks.
- Modified: Some tooltips have been modified/updated.
- Fixed: Next in Note Edition with “Another Track” does not show the note blocks of all visible note columns of the “Another Track” when the number of columns is greater than the current track.
- Modified: New protection system. Now it is possible to select between the “name” or “email” for registered users, to display in the top bar. This allows for more secure video recording using the PRS for creating public content.
- Improved: Part of the code has ben revised.
- Added: New folder “scheme” with a Basic Scheme of the Piano Roll Studio in PDF & PNG format.
- Modified: The User’s Manual has been revised & updated.
Piano Roll Studio v1.1.271 (February 2022):
- Fixed: A notifier remained active after turning the tool ON and OFF. An error occurred when editing notes from the pattern editor of Renoise.
Piano Roll Studio v1.1.270 (February 2022):
- Added: Song Play Mode: now allows to display the next Pattern.
- Added: Includes the continuity of Note Blocks in the transition between Patterns when the next Pattern is displayed inside the Grid.
- Added: Preferences / Miscellaneous: new options “Next in Song Playback”.
- Modified: Preferences / GUI. Window Config: new options “Next in Note Edition” and “Next in Song Playback”. Allows a continuous display between the current pattern and the next.
- Added: Preferences / Miscellaneous: new option “Custom Modifiers” of alt/option and control/command for Mac Operating System.
- Fixed: Note Block Info: “Ins Nme” could return an error of index greater than the maximum index.
- Fixed: Selector Mode 6: “Detect the Chord” does not release the keys on the “Custom” chord after detecting this chord and playing it when the “Base Note” is diferent to C-4.
- Modified: The User’s Manual has been revised and updated.
Piano Roll Studio v1.0.264 (January 2022):
- Initial Release.