tint :rainbow:

Highlight the track at the cursor using its color

unless_renoise_tint

Additional settings can be found in the Tools/tint menu

• Adjust the opacity of the highlight if it is too much or too little for you

• Batch recolor all (or a selection) of tracks with a rainbow spectrum

• Customize the spectrum to perfect your hue game

unless_renoise_tint_batch

This tool was sitting in my drawer for quite some time but now itā€™s yours. I found the track color opacity in Renoise to be too much if every track gets tinted but having just the selected track be colorful feels good.

Iā€™ve included the batch recoloring as a bonus. Maybe at some point other color palettes will be added but you can already create different gradients using the sliders (and the Selected target) to fine tune track colors. For example you can reduce the scale to get a smaller range of colors, then use the offset to pick where should the range start.

see the source on gitlab

download from direct link (this zip includes all my other tools as well)

consider donating :heart:

Happy tinting!

:rainbow: :shrimp:

21 Likes

This is nice, Iā€™ll just tone it down quite a bit from your default.
Iā€™ll definitely use this. Thanks! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Nice work mate!

Hello together!

@unless
An option to save and restore the given trackcolor would be still nice. I tested it with notcolored tracks and it much increase the readability and the visual ergonomics. On projects with already colored tracks itā€™s set the opacity to 0 for the track when i hit tab key. So the before colored track is showed notcolored then. Better would be it became the old color value and opacitylevel reassigned. Hope you know what i mean.

@all
No one has questioned till now that the playcursor is lowering his visibility with increased opacity value? I would say its not a nice behaviour from ergonomic/visuality point of view.

happy tracking :slight_smile:

Yeah, the default opacity might be a bit much but I wanted it to be definitely noticable even if your track colors are less saturated. Or do you mean the defaults for recoloring?

Thanks! That makes sense. Iā€™ve implemented retaining for already colored tracks. See below.

version 0.2 - donā€™t hurt the colors :floppy_disk:

Adding a mode selector for the highlighting to handle cases where you have some of your tracks with Background Blend already set to a non-zero value (which would get reset to zero before this), you can either

• Add your highlight opacity to the existing one
  • take the Max value from the two
  • Replace with your highlight value
  • or set a Custom offset to apply
  • Clear will just set the blend back to zero when you leave tracks, keep the mode on this if you donā€™t use background blend on your tracks to avoid this bug.
2 Likes

chrash when i selected custom mode and try change the value in the field with the mouse. Mouse warping was off in Renoise config. Renoise version was 3.4.2 hope it helps

chrash when i changed opacity in tint config while have settet replace mode. Same Renoise version and config.

The max mode should set selected opacity on 100 % or ? But when i selected this it seems to does nothing on the trackcolor of colored tracks? I cant recognized no visual difference between the add, max and replace mode. :confused:

Maybe Iā€™m doing something wrong while using it? I disable my 2 other autocolor tools to exclude conflicts between the tools.

Hmm, this error is on the native Renoise side, I canā€™t reproduce it (although Iā€™m running Renoise 3.4.3) but a tool shouldnā€™t be able to crash Renoise itself, only the lua interpreter in the worst case.

Max means the maximum of the two so if your opacity is set to 10 but the hovered track has background blend of 20 then 20 will be shown, if your opacity is set to a greater number then that will be used on hover.

To achieve 100% just set the opacity to 100.

The modes only make a difference in the case of a track with a non-zero existing background blend value. Otherwise they mean the same thing because (letā€™s say you opacity is set to 16)

• 0 + 16 (add mode) is the same as
  • max(0, 16) (max mode)
  • or just 16 (replace mode).

But if the underlying trackā€™s blend isnā€™t zero, these equations can give different result. I think the default Add might be the most sensible though but I couldnā€™t help myself adding the rest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I canā€™t reproduce this either. Could you provide clear steps to get to this state from a newly opened Renoise instance?

The only time this could happen that I know of is if you reinstalled the tool while a previous version was highlighting a track, in that case the new version wouldnā€™t be able to tell the difference between the track previously highlighted or having an existing background blend set and so it would try to preserve whatever value was there. Unfortunately I canā€™t get around this issue but it shouldnā€™t happen too often either.

I had open your config window. and cycle with holding tab key. Then i go in native trackcolordialog change there opacity to 0 and set it on all tracks. Then i changed the saturation button in still showed config window about the slider and it immediatly crash.

if you want, we can get a discord screencast sharing session later this week, the you can see exactly what i does and what happens then :slight_smile:

Not sure what you mean by cycling with tab. On linux I canā€™t select elements in the config with tab.

Is this crash happening with other sliders in the config window as well? What about other toolā€™s windows? Judging by the fact that you get the error message about Renoise crashing, I suspect it might be a bug in Renoise itself (possibly already fixed in my version). Usually youā€™d get the ā€œcontact tool authorā€¦ā€ type of error if it was the tool crashing.

Could you update to Renoise 3.4.3 to rule that possibility out at least?

tab cycling means holding tab key for cycling renoise tracks. On my window7 this ist standard Renoise function

i can test it with 3.4.3 tomorrow. thats no problem. i think it will be the same. you are heartly invited to Themes & stuff discord. Then we can make video screen sharing and you can self watch and look what i do and whats happen then. :slight_smile:

here is the discord invite code: hy48JMSHKc

Thereā€™s a bug where if you drag your currently selected track to another place the highlight will stay highlighted.

ps. maybe itā€™s because I use ā€œAuto Track Colorsā€ plugin but I dont think so?

Found another bug but this might be Renoise.

I tried to downgrade (install) your first version of the plugin by just dragging the zip file unto Renoise, I didnā€™t uninstall the latest first, but anyway now Tint is not showing up in the Tool Browser but some version of the plugin is still working/installed. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Oh right. Unfortunately Iā€™m not sure if I can fix this for good because of how the highlighting is hacked on top of the existing background blend value feature.

Iā€™ve uploaded a new version (0.2.1) with a workaround mode Clear that will behave like the first version (setting the blend back to zero when you focus another track). If you donā€™t use the background blend on your tracks this will work fine when dragging tracks around as well.

Iā€™ll try coming up with something to solve this in the future but I canā€™t think of anything trivial right now. For a tool the event of swapping tracks is unknown, I can only observe the fact that the index of the selected track is changed.

About the other bug, Maybe Renoise got confused with the version in the older manifest being lower than the installed one? Donā€™t know if Renoise checks version at all though. At worst you could try manually deleting the tint folder from your User Scripts folder or clicking Tools/Reload all Tools

That said, it is quite weird that the tool still works while not showing up in the list. Does it work even after restart?

I donā€™t use background blend on tracks so it works again together with ā€œAuto Track Colorsā€, as long as I donā€™t mess with the various features, thatā€™s just how this works where many tools can conflict.

It did, so yeah Renoise got confused somehow. Did you remember to add different version numbers in the manifest?
Anyway I removed the folder and reinstalled which helped get it back.