New Tool: Go To Send Track

For a newer send tool see Send Mixer:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Go to Send Track:

Version 1.0 now on Tools page

http://www.renoise.c…o-to-send-track

This tool works by adding menu entries to the DSP lanes/ Mixer for navigating to and from the send tracks.

1. If you have a send device on a track, select it then right-click for menu. You should see an entry:
    ~ Go to Send

Click it and you will be taken to the send track the device is routed to.

1. On any send track that has a send device routed to it, right-click on the DSP lane and you should have a list of all the tracks with those sends. Choose the one you want and you will be taken to that track/ send device. The entries will look something like this:

~ Go To Source ‘Kick Drum’
~ Go To Source ‘Piano’
~ Go To Source ‘Track 03’
…etc

depending on how many sends are routed to it.

Additional Global Keyboard Shortcuts:

Navigation:

• GTS Go To Selected Send Device`s Target
    Same as the menu function “Go To Send”

• GTS Toggle Last Selected Track
    Toggle between the currently selected track and the previously selected track in renoise . This is not limited to send tracks but can work as an sort of inverse to the above shortcut. Can be useful for generally toggling two tracks in the pattern editor while composing too. (note after very first install of tool you may need to open/ start a new song for this to initialise properly)

• GTS Go to Source …
    When on a send track, opens a dialog with a jump list of all tracks routing there. You can type in the prefixed number to jump to that track.

• GTS Cycle Send Track Selection".
    New Navigation Shortcut. If you are not on a send track this shortcut takes you to the first send track in your song. Repeated presses cycle through the send tracks. I already on a send it just cycle from where you are.

Action:

• GTS Add New Send Device (Keep Source)
    adds a send device to the current track, with a modified initial preset of ‘keep source’ enabled and -INF dB send amount. + now unmutes all send tracks if they were muted before. This is in case you are adding the device to a soloed
    instrument track. This means that when you increase the send amount slider you can hear what you are sending to as the send would be muted otherwise.

• GTS Add New Send Track
    adds a new send to the to the last track position

• GTS Route to New Send Track .
    Adds a send track and immediately adds a silent send device to it.

• GTS Monitor Send Tracks
    Toggles the audio on/off from all the instrument tracks, so you can work on the send sounds alone. The prefix “MON:” Will be added to send track names while this is active.

• GTS Toggle Sends Active State
    mutes and unmute all sends at once

- GTS Increment FX Track Color

cycles between medium/low and no coloring on all send and group tracks

Keyboard shortcut:
GTS Route To Send Track….

So I’ve been so free to create version 0.61
one shortcut has been added, namely “GTS Route To Send Track…”
it gives again a type of keyboard operable GUI with some very simple, but very handy options:

• As usual, you can type a number, or a-z, A-Z if you have a lot of send tracks, to select where to send to
  • You can select it with keys up/down too
  • You can pre-set the Amount value with left/right (Shift to be more precise)
  • Enter to send to existing track, but also:
  • Insert to create a new sendtrack before the indicated one aisti
  • Delete to create a new sendtrack after the indicated one aisti
  • Home to create a new sendtrack at spot #1 aisti
  • End to create a new sendtrack at the end aisti

(legend for the above list; aisti means “and immediately send to it”)

-[code note] removed track change notifier as this is covered by selected device notifier already.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Latest version additions:---------------------------------
v1.21–added shortcut GTS Throw To Send, which takes the selected track DSP and puts it on a new send track. The DSP is replaced with a send device pointing to that new track.
v1.2 bug fix:-- cas additions line 150ish: local num = 1 CHANGED 24/01/14, given the default value of 1 to avoid later attempted arithmetic on a nil valuev1.0-‘GTS’ Increment FX Track Color Blendcycles through blend states for group master and send track colorsmedium blend, light,blend and no blendv0.66Tidied up the multiband ‘go to source’ menus so instead of duplicate entries to the same device, L/M/H is appended to the end for the different bands
v0.65just fixed: bug here that after changing send targets in the device, you need to de-select and re-select the device to up date the menus, v0.64edit: forgot to mention these have been added aswell:On the selected Send DSP, shortcuts cycling the target send (receiver) forwards and backwards :GTS Cycle Selected Send Devices Target -> GTS Cycle Selected Send Devices Target ←

-Added menu support for multiband sends. When right-clicking on them in the DSP or mixer, the following will appear, for the low medium and high bands respectively

~Go To Send (Low)
~Go To Send (Med)
~Go To Send (High)

When right-clicking a send track that has a MB send routed to it you will get something like the following depending on which band is routed, - Low, Med, High

~Go To Source (Med)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Known issues:-For the menu entries to show up on a send track you have to have a device hilighted/ selected. This is normally no problem if you have DSPs on the send, but if the send is empty you will need to select the track device (the volume/pan/width device that exists at the start of every track)-Multiband sends not supported yet.Apart from that it seems to be working fine, unless you can tell me different? smile.gif

click here for changelog

v0.60–No new features but a major rewrite of menu code to simplify and tidy it. Testing it still works as expected , is appreciated!Note to Cas: I re-formatted some of your code(so I am able to maintain it better if needed- hope is still workable for you?) and also split it to a file cas_additions.lua. Should be easy to find if you want to modify it/ make any new additions.
v.0.59
– All shortcuts are now prefixed with GTS (i.e. G o T o S end) in order to find them more easily for assignment. So when looking for these shortcuts you can now just search: gts and all the shortcuts for this tool will show up.
This means previous assignments will be lost now so please update them, this should make things quicker in the future though.
- [MODIFIED] GTS Add New Send Device (Keep Source_)_
adds a send device to the current track, with a modified initial preset of keep source enabled and -INF dB send amount_._ + now unmutes all send tracks if they were muted before. This is in case you are adding the device to a soloed
instrument track. This means that when you increase the send amount slider you can hear what you are sending to as the send would be muted otherwise.
– Cas’ updates are now incorperated http://forum.renoise…post__p__297963 thanks Cas!
GTS Route to New Send Track. Adds a send track and immediately adds a silent send device to it
GTS Go to Source ….When on a send track, opens a dialog with a jump list of all tracks routing there. You can type in the prefixed number to jump to that track.
– New Navigation Shortcut `GTS’ Cycle Send Track Selection". If you are not on a send track this shortcut takes you to the first send track in your song. Repeated presses cycle through the send tracks. If already on a send it just cycle from where you are
– Fixed: bug reported by thalamus here: http://forum.renoise…post__p__297973
v0.57

• When using the Monitor Sends Shortcut, the string "MON: " is prefixed to the names of the sendtracks as feedback that this mode is active
  • Added Cas’ suggestions to tidy up the ‘Silent Gainers’
  • New Shortcut to mute and unmute all sends at once: “Toggle Sends Active State”
  • New Shortcut as requested by It-Alien for “Go To Selected Send Device`s Target”
  • New Shortcut to toggle between the currently selected track and the previously selected track in renoise “Toggle Last Selected Track”. This is not limited to send tracks but can work as an sort of inverse to the above shortcut. Can be useful for generally toggling two tracks in the pattern editor while composing too.
    v0.55
    –added global keyboard shortcut:
    _ Monitor Send Tracks _
    This shortcut toggles a silencing of every instrument track, by adding 'Silent Gainer’s. You can then concentrate on the send audio itself - good for eqing reverbs/ finetuning fx.
    It is different from simply soloing a send in renoise which leaves the source sounds still audible.
    v0.53
    _ Add New Send Device _ (Keep Source)
    _v.0.52
    Add New Send Track _

very handy! it would be good to have a shortcut associated to “go to send”

This is similar to New Tool: Jump To/from Send ? :P/>

However my tool operates by shortcut and on the first send that is found in the active track. It’s quicker than having to navigate to the send dsp itself.

Also: New Tool: Route To New Send

bigups to the both of you
I might take it up to take one of these and enable keyboard control for it
So you can view the list of tracks sending to, then press 1-9 to go to that sending track (much like in my other tool Recent Files)
The idea of menus how Ledger made it is great

Certainly will consider it though it looks like I`ve gotta have a look at joules script now

doh! I thought I’d seen something like this before but searched mainly on the tools page, when I couldn`t find anything, I went to the scripting editor. Fortunately there is difference in the two, which justifies the time I spent messing around with the menu elements, so will probably carry on with this.

Yes the reason you have to have the send selected aswell with this tool is so it can work on tracks with multiple sends.

Off to download and try yours aswell.

Interesting idea! I`ll keep an eye out, Recent Files Looks handy too!

http://forum.renoise…post__p__297776

Minor update with the following shortcut added[i]:

v[/i].0.52
[b]Add New Send Track

[/b]So when you are on an instrument track and you want a clean send, you can add it then set the send to it without having to navigate the tracks. Once this is done you can use the right-click menu to navigate to the new send aswell.

Just want to quickly say, when the callback function for the menu doesn’t have/need any arguments, you can supply it as an argument like this:

invoke = add_a_new_send_track  

ie. also without (parentheses)
You only really need the function() … end construction if the callback needs a true/false, track index, etc.
Now, to advance this tool further, you might want to directly insert a send device, sending (with keep source) to the newly made sendtrack, at the current spot in the DSP chain.
Let’s say add this to the function:

function add_a_new_send_track()  

local song = renoise.song()  
 song:insert_track_at(#song.tracks + 1)  
 local insert_spot = math.max(song.selected_device_index, 1)+1 -- math.max for if no instrument selected, +1 because the sampler/mixerdevice counts but you can't place a device before it  
 local senddevice = song.selected_track:insert_device_at("Audio/Effects/Native/#Send", insert_spot)  
 senddevice.active_preset_data = [[<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>  
<filterdevicepreset doc_version="9"><br>
  <deviceslot type="SendDevice"><br>
    <ismaximized>true</ismaximized><br>
    <sendamount><br>
      <value>0.0</value><br>
    </sendamount><br>
    <sendpan><br>
      <value>0.5</value><br>
    </sendpan><br>
    <destsendtrack><br>
      <value>]]..<br>
  (song.send_track_count-1).. -- because inside send devices the send tracks are counted starting with zero, just as CV destination stuff inside *devices<br>
[[</value><br>
    </destsendtrack><br>
    <mutesource>false</mutesource><br>
    <smoothparameterchanges>true</smoothparameterchanges><br>
  </deviceslot><br>
</filterdevicepreset>  
]]  

end  

In this way it would start sending -INF to the newly created send track, and Keep Source. You can add your fx and then gradually send.

(Disclaimer, the forums lua prettyprinter does not handle [[]] “multiline strings” ideally so just copy paste and try in your editor, it will be color formatted logically if I didn’t make any mistakes. Also, please note I just wrote this down and did not test the code.)

New version In first post

v0.53
Add New Send Device (Keep Source)

Thanks for the code Cas. I have implemented it as a separate shortcut for the add send device, as there are situations where I don`t want both things to happen at the same time, i.e. adding the new send track aswell.

With regards to the function syntax, I was aware you could do it differently though wasnt 100% clear of the reasons why, so thanks for pointing it out. The reason I generally leave it as the nested function notation is from generally copy/pasting these from other scripts. It keeps things slightly` more readable for me aswell as I instantly recognise a key or menu binding in this form.

v0.55
Monitor Send Tracks

Basically this shortcut mutes all the audio from everything but the send tracks, you can then concentrate on the audio in the sends themselves. Good for eqing reverbs etc.
This is done by adding a silent gain device on every instrument track, then removing when toggled again.

The shortcut toggles on /off .

No problem. PS I was not telling the truth entirely because if the function is not yet declared before you can’t point to it. So yeah for your coding style it makes much more sense to always do it that way.

One thing I noticed about the latest version, in this case with the mutes you really don’t need the .active_preset_data construct (a hacky construct that I always try to avoid as it takes away from code readability a lot because there’s a lot another language in your lua code; also, it doesn’t always play nice with indentation). You already set the name and then you can set the gain to -INF like this

gainer_device:parameter(1).value=0  

You might even set it to minimize in the DSPs section (since the name makes it clear what it does)

gainer_device.is_maximized=false  

and/or hide the parameter in the mixer view (same reason)

gainer_device:parameter(1).show_in_mixer=false  

Yes I will be cleaning up the code as I go towards 1.0, with some better comments/ variable names etc. the XML preset for the gainer will be changing aswell , it was the result of some copy pasting coding.

Good idea on minimized gainers, I`ll put it in the next update, and thanks for the snippets!

This is very useful, thanks!

Agreed, thanks a lot for this!

Thanks for the feedback thalamus and afta8, always appreciated!

• When using the Monitor Sends Shortcut the string "MON: " is prefixed to the names of the sendtracks as feedback that this mode is active

• Added Cassuggestions to tidy up theSilent Gainers`

• New Shortcut to mute and unmute all sends at once: “Toggle Sends Active State”

• New Shortcut as requested by It-Alien for “Go To Selected Send Device`s Target”

• New Shortcut to toggle between the currently selected track and the previously selected track in renoise “Toggle Last Selected Track”. This is not limited to send tracks but can work as an sort of inverse to the above shortcut. Can be useful for generally toggling two tracks in the pattern editor while composing too.

Ledger, this tool is the truth :D
I’ve made some extensions for myself;
one to add a send track and immediately add the silent send, called it “Route to New Send Track”
another that’s a keyboard shortcut for when you’re on a send track, you can pull up a menu of sources, a la RecentFiles tool
4159 ledger.scripts.GoToSendTrack_V0.58.xrnx

So I just hope either you wanna incorporate those additions, or you’re not gonna make a lot of improvements to the tool, cause I’m gonna keep coding and hacking too :huh: Right now I’m gonna do some actual music. Thanks man. :drummer:

Thanks for uploading. The additions seem quite self contained at first glance so it shouldn`t be too much of a problem to leave them in there.

Wonderful stuff!

Found a little bug-ette:
If you fire the shortcut to go-to a target on a track that doesnt have a send an unpleasant scripting tool error is shown.

Thanks, should be fixed in the next update.

v.0.59 http://forum.renoise…post__p__297776

– All shortcuts are now prefixed with GTS (i.e. Go To Send) in order to find them more easily for assignment. So when looking for these shortcuts you can now just search: gts and all the shortcuts for this tool will show up.
This means previous assignments will be lost now so please update them, this should make things quicker in the future though.

– Casupdates are now incorperated, thanks Cas! [b]GTSRoute to New Send Track[/b] . Adds a send track and immediately adds a silent send device to it [b]GTS` Go to Source …[/b] .When on a send track, opens a dialog with a jump list of all tracks routing there. You can type in the prefixed number to jump to that track.

– New Navigation Shortcut GTS Cycle Send Track Selection". If you are not on a send track this shortcut takes you to the first send track in your song. Repeated presses cycle through the send tracks. I already on a send it just cycle from where you are

Fixed: bug reported by thalamus.

v0.60

v0.60
–No new features but a major rewrite of menu code to simplify and tidy it. Testing that it still works as expected , is appreciated!

Note to Cas: I re-formatted some of your code(so I am able to maintain it better if needed- hope is still workable for you?) and also split it to a file cas_additions.lua. Should be easy to find if you want to modify it/ make any new additions.