Realtime Stretch

Hi ppl!

I think this one can be useful. Native TimeStretch funcion [if I write it right].

For example: you load 120bpm loop sample, put it in track, play the song at 160bpm and then open TimeStretch effect & start playing with sample speed without changing its pitch. When you are satisfied with results, you go to Sampler and hit Render FX and you will get TimeStretched sample that was previously set to 120bpm and now it will play at 160bpm at the same pitch.

The same should work with TimePitch [or similar effect]: Open sample, it plays at the matched speed but pitch isn’t correct. Then you change its pitch [without changing its speed] and after rendering sample - you will get what you want [rendering should be the highest possible].

What do you think?

You can already achieve this by using the 09xx effect, check the tutorial songs entitled “Sample Offset” and “Beat Slicing.”

Yep I know this but I mean about automatizing it with more precise calculations. 0900 effects are limited to song speed and it sounds a bit cutted. TimeStrech function in, for example, WaveLab works the same and makes very quality samples.

p.s. now I tried - yes, 09xx effects works very nice in my example :)

There is no way that the sample offests are an acceptable method for timestretch.

Trackers have come so far over the past years, but I’m still time streching the same way I did in impluse tracker?

A lot of music done with Renoise is very experimental, thus artifacts and glitchy effects perhaps add to the sound. However, if you have a vocal that is in the wrong pitch, at the wrong speed then you can’t use offsets to fix it. Specifically, you can’t use Renoise to fix it.

Many people seem to think about breakeats when they think timestreching. I think vocals. I think Renoise should liscense and implement the elastique timestretch algorhythm. I believe it’s even free up to 48k during playback. This has been discussed many times though. For some reason a lot of people don’t seem to suppor it, but I think those are the people that find using offsets meet their own needs quite sufficiently.

In short, I think it would be great.

P.S – I have been using pitch shifters for a while to do real time timestretching in renoise as it’s the same thing, free VSTpitchshifters don’t sound that great, so it’s still not a real solution.

Agree. The only usable TimeStreching exists in WaveLab - load sample, select all, hit T key and change tempo from 120 bpm to lets say - 170 - works like a charm. Quality is nearly perfect.

+1 can’t we like intergrate dblue’s stretch if hes willing to sell out : )

all the big boys do it!!

i think there was some talk about it some time ago,but it never happened

please correct me if im wrong though :blink:

If you own a Mac, there’s a built in time stretch plugin called AUPitch.

Steps to use:

1. Launch Renoise on OS X.
  2. Woah, there it is.

Ok. So a company dedicated to a product doing pitch shifting “doesn’t sound that great”…

In what parallel universe does Renoise, a company not focused on this at all, do a better job?

How much is an Elastique license? Is it really better that the free stuff? AUPitch (the one used in Logic) is pretty good, and it’s on my machine by default.

Also, Elastique is an SDK. The reason it works good in Ableton Live or NI Traktor is integration with the product. Big difference between licensing a SDK and implementing it. Live lets you nudge clips around and the time-stretching fixes things for you on the fly. Traktor is a DJ app so it helps you beatmatch.

But, those features are also available in Garageband and Logic, for example, which don’t use Elastique.

If you know PHP, then imagine licensing CURL. It doesn’t do anything out of the box except provide a way to “to connect and communicate to many different types of servers”. So replace “Renoise should do timestretching” with “Renoise should communicate with a server” and the statement is about the same.

Elastique is a means, not an end.

PS: Not against the feature, but the reason in rocks in other products is workflow integration. If it’s just to sync samples… What’s an extra couple of minutes in Wavlab? (Or in my case, i’d just use AUPitch + Beatsync)

Though i do like Dblues stretch plug i see it more as a special effect .

If time stretching does come into renoise I’d like to see something like abletons stretch, which is pretty fab.

You’re not wrong. I was going to clean up the code to my stretcher and submit it to the Renoise team, but I never quite got around to it. Oddly enough, it has been on my mind again lately, since I used the effect in a track I was working on recently.

I really should point out that my method is definitely not very good or musically pleasing, and it has a rather limited range of use. You cannot use my stretcher to adjust the timing of a piece of music without getting some very audible artifacts in the process. It sounds rather lofi, almost like the 0900 pattern command, so ilisity is quite right when he says that it’s more of a special effect.

These days people have come to expect very high quality and useful results from “time stretching”. If Renoise had my stretcher - which I openly admit is not that great - my main concern is that it may actually be bad for Renoise’s image, since people (users, reviewers, etc) would certainly comment on the really crappy sounding time stretch function. They would see the feature “time stretch” and expect similar excellent results to Ableton Live or whatever, and they would just be disappointed that it doesn’t sound that way.

I think that the 09xx effect sounds better than Live’s timestretching on most material. Live’s stretching has got weird artifacts that dull the sound; it sounds like you’ve run the audio through a noise reduction effect like in Cool Edit.

In order for 09xx to sound good you do have to use a high LPB, but if you do then it sounds pretty good. That plus the 01xx/02xx effect at 1 TPL and you can repitch and timestretch as much as you want.

Note, though, that this technique doesn’t preserve the formant. For that you’d need to use Melodyne or something like that.

For reference:
Although I do not understand about license, programing and price etc. in detail, there is another ‘elastique’ called “Rubber Band Library”, which is implemented in Ardour.
http://breakfastquay.com/rubberband/
It seems there are two versions, free edition(GNU license) and commercial edition.
So in Renoise we cannot choice the free edition though, maybe it’s worth trying.

I’ve tried Ardour a bit, I think it’s good engine.

Whoo! Sound quality is fantastic!!!

Take a listen:

http://breakfastquay.com/rubberband/examples.html

:) :) :)

I vote for this one to be implemented :)

I don’t know if it has anything to do with this topic, but the Pitcher which comes in Sugar Bytes Artillery 2 is pretty amazing. I was going to make a topic about this not so long ago, though I forgot. It doesn’t do stretches beyond or before ‘time’, that’s kind of a miracle to me. Anyone that can explain how this works? oO

(If you have for example a loop synced on 32 lines it won’t stop before or play beyond 32 lines, no matter how hard you pitch.)

I’d love to see such effect at itself in a VST or even directly as DSP Effect in Renoise, getting Artillery in your song just for the Pitcher is kinda silly imo. :P

But of course, need considering about user need, lisence price, implement effort of our Devs, and the price of Renoise itself ;) . :)

… In the meantime…

OSX: AUPitch
PC: dBlue Stretch

Works like a charm :)

I had tried Dblue’s stretch a while ago on some vocals and they came out sounding like a 1995 jungle vocal effect. It’s obvious (look at Dblue’s own comments) that it won’t accomplish the job that we are talking about in this thread. What is need is a proper timestretch at optimal quality producing minimal artifacts.

Again, I think the Rubberband / Elastique solution would be good to look into.

Timestretching would be an often used feature. Perhaps most importantly, if it is implemented it should be done right, with some type of algorhythm that produces a minimal effect on the audio.

For samples that are not much larger than 1MB, it may suffice.
But that does not really work on larger samples… the 09xx commands also relate to the sample its bytecount. The larger the sample, the more chuckles you get on the road, no high LPB or low TPL would fix that.

Well a licence can be agree cheap enough for Reaper to be able to afford one so it can’t be that ludicrous. Seems they are willing to go on a royalty fee if you can agree to one.

"licensing models

annual license fee payment

one-time license fee payment

We are also open to discuss royalty-based payments or other options"

Plus Reaper, mentioned above, and NI’s sampler VSTs and many others are using Elastique.

• ableton Live 5, 6, 7 (élastique efficient V1.x)
  • ableton Live 8 (élastique Pro V2.x)
  • acoustica MixCraft 2.5, 3, 4 (élastique efficient V1.x)
  • ALCATech BPMStudio 5 (élastique efficient V1.0)
  • ALCATech DigiScratch 2 (élastique efficient V1.0)
  • Bias Inc. Peak 5, 6 (élastique efficient V1.x)
  • Best Service ENGINE (élastique SOLOIST V2)
  • Cockos Reaper 2.0-2.1 (élastique Pro V1.5)
  • Cockos Reaper 2.2, 3.x (élastique Pro V2)
  • Disco XT Disco XT V5.x (élastique efficient V1.x)
  • EKS Bison 1.x (élastique Pro V2)
  • elasticmax elastic~ (élastique efficient V2)
  • HighAndes Trakax 1 and higher (élastique SOLOIST V2 & efficient V1.x)
  • Image-Line Deckadance (élastique Pro V2.x)
  • Image-Line FLStudio 5, 6 (élastique efficient V1.x)
  • Image-Line FLStudio 7,8 (élastique Pro V1.5)
  • Image-Line FLStudio 9 (élastique Pro V2.x)
  • Mackie Tracktion 3 (élastique efficient V1.x)
  • M-Audio Torq 1.5 (élastique efficient V1.3)
  • MixVibes CROSS (élastique efficient V2)
  • Native Instruments Kontakt 1.5, 2 (élastique SOLOIST V1.0)
  • Native Instruments Intakt (élastique SOLOIST V1.0)
  • Native Instruments Traktor 2, 3 (élastique efficient V1.0)
  • SampleBase.com Satellite (élastique SOLOIST V2)
  • Sony Acid Pro 7 (élastique Pro V2.x)
  • Sony Sound Forge Pro 10 (élastique Pro V2.x)
  • Steinberg Cubase 4,5, VariAudio (élastique SOLOIST V2)
  • VOX JamVOX (élastique efficient V2.x)
  • überschall Elastik loop player (élastique Pro V1.5)
  • xtsoftware energyXT 2 (élastique efficient V1.x)
  • Yellow Tools Independence (Pro) and ORIGAMI 2.5 (élastique SOLOIST V2)
  • zero-x BeatQuantizer (PolyStretcher) 1 (élastique efficient V1.x)

Plus it can be evaluated for three weeks and licence cancelled to see if it works for you/the SDK is suitable. Plus they also offer to help with integration (although probably not for free.)

"evaluation

Every SDK-delivery comes with an evaluation period of 3 weeks. The license agreement may be canceled during this time without obligations.

support

zplane offers full and unlimited integration support for all delivered SDKs.

customization

Customization or adaptation of the interface to allow better integration into your product is easily possible. "

"

Then you just cut it into smaller samples… =)