What do 3.3 really needs…

I really like the “MaYbe” sample trigger effect. I wonder if anyone else would be interested in an “If/then” effect to accompany it?

I use 0Yxx “MaYbe” commands to add off-beat gracenotes and stutters to my samples, adding an unpredictable, live, human feel to songs. It also lets me create one loop and loop it rather than programming different variations into every pattern.

I would like to be able to say something like “IF sample doesn’t trigger on line 14, THEN trigger sample on line 15 100% of the time”. The first sample in this case might be set to only trigger 60% of the time, but WHEN it does, the sample on line 15 DOES NOT play. When it DOESN’T, THEN the next sample triggers every time the IF statement is true.

My natural orientation when playing live drums or instruments is to semi-randomly throw in little stabs and flams before and after the beat, and this is just a way to automate that while keeping the unpredictability.

Is this stupid? Too niche? Can anyone else see the value in such a thing? What do you think?

1 Like

Not stupid, and half a year ago, I would have used it extensively. Depending the style of music you’re composing, then yep, if you feel it would be handy, then it probably would be! The if/then would add an extra bit of oomph to the MaYbe effect.

Now, though, I keep thinking to myself - should it be the computer or me composing the track. Just like that, I’m obsessed with preparing EACH and every pattern and making it sound random, but it will always be the same. Go figure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could you do more ‘controlled’ random with the patterns in phrases and the maybe command (in exclusive mode) on the main timeline?

1 Like

You bet I could :smiley: Phrases are great, I prefer to use the main tracks, though. Once I get going, I’m gonna run with it. I prefer things to be ‘just so’. I’m a fan of the MaYbe commands, and the idea of if/then. Would be really cool for art gallery/ambient environments.

For my own music, what I noticed was this: after a while, these interesting little patterns would come up in random, then the next time I’d render the track with new changes elsewhere, they’d be gone. So, I just made the neat little patterns, and stopped with the ‘chance’ method. I don’t perform my music live (it’s abstract microsound/lowercase). If I did, I would definitely go for the MaYbe command, because it’d do some heavy lifting for me.

Overall, I’m just obsessive/compulsive about what I want to hear.

2 Likes

Any news on an ETA for the new update or are things still hush hush?

This is possible to setup currently using an a signal follower and a gainer set to -INF. Create two seperate fx chains, chain one for the note on line 14 and chan two for the note on line 15, have a signal follower on chain one and a -INF gainer on chain two, then route the signal follower to the gainer and have it turn on and off the gainer if signal passes through. Then in the main editor put two notes in, the one on line 14 with a Y60 for 60% probability and the one on line 15. If 14 triggers it will mute 15. If 14 doesn’t trigger 15 will play 100% of the time. It’s a work around and not near as handy as having a specific command but it can done if you want to try it out

1 Like

Thank you! Seems like it’d be a good learning experience just to try and hack that out. Cheers!

Here it is if you like to save some time Example.xrns (35.7 KB)

2 Likes

ive come back to renoise i cant get enough of it , are we getting audio tracks and vst3 ?

2 Likes

The Mono switch from Instruments/PluginPage suckz very in Workflow. Melody Recording with Keyboard fails completly for me if Mono is Off. To work i must in every Plugin/Instrument Dialog and switch mono on!!! The Mono switch should be an Button in Patternview/Mainview because its belongs to Recording functionality in my Thinking. It would be heavely easy my Workflow.

And horizontal Pianoroll View is needed for Recording Chords. In old Amigatimes Tracker-Software was not needed this, because most, needed Chords was Recorded/Sampled as Chord self, so that it was able to play the Chords sample with 1 Pattern Note. But nowadays with Vst Plugins and so on, a real Pianoroll is needed!!!

Im getting Stuck on Recording with unwanted “Note Off” Pattern Notes. If someone have a tip for me how to avoid this behaviour i would be thankfully.

And Audiotracks would be nice too yes! :slight_smile:

The Instrument Properties section is also available under the Instrument Selector. So just open that up and enable ‘Show Trigger Options’ to get the Mono button.

instrpropmono

5 Likes

What do 3.3 really needs… mhn, a release date, soon :smiley: Just a joke.
I hope it doesn’t take too long :slight_smile: I’m ready for beta testing.

3 Likes

Easy one: ability to transpose keyboard note input by semitones instead of only octaves. Why is this useful? Because some of us want to write in keys other than Cmajor/Aminor without having to invalidate muscle memory every time. It’s a big deal to isomorphic instrument players.

2 Likes

Ok thats true, but that are still 2 mouseclicks. Why not a Button direct below the Patterns. There is left much space. So it would be 1 click and i could record.

A feature that I would be interested in is a native tuner effect, to facilitate the tuning of drum samples and assigning note samples to the correct keys when making renoise instruments. I know there are third party plugins that offer this feature but it would be great to see this as a native effect.

7 Likes

This!!

A post was split to a new topic: Show contents of all sub folders in Disk Browser (like Bitwig does)

This, please! YXX affecting other effects would be amazing, and I think it’s perfectly doable.

Aphex suggestions were pretty good, i would especially love the note+octave drop down menu, and be able to select a note from any octave in one action only.No need to adjust octave adjustements or other fuss slowing workflow.You just select the note straight away.This is an advantage piano roll have over keyboard entering with octave adjustements.You can select or edit any note really quickly by just DIRECT selection,at any octave, in one movement.Such a drop down menu would fix this.Melody writing and editing needs to have a bit more of an intuitive flow.Doing something in 2 or 3 actions when it could only done in 1 action needs to be addressed, especially when something as important as melody writing is concerned.After all it means everything takes twice as long as it should be.Renoise is super powerful but melody writing and pitch selection needs upgrade and simplification.

Aphex suggestions below
''fanks!

''The reason this vid exists is because when my good friend Leila wanted to remix it, she asked if she could just have the melody without the drums, to make it easier to work out, so I thought be a nice little treat to make her a movie of it.
About PlayerPro though,Id like to write a chunk about that program.

Its very simple compared to modern things like Renoise BUT it had some advantages over it
Here’s the main things I loved about Playerpro. You could drag instruments from the list on the right, directly into the arrangement window, this alone makes writing things SO much faster than say Renoise and SO much more fun and less ballache.
I know you can play them in from the keyboard but you need both.
Next is if you right click a note in the arrangement window, you get a list of possible column functions/FX AND notes with octaves, This is a really fast and intuitive way to program and most importantly edit things you played in.
Ive tried in vain to make Renoise coders listen, help!

You could print plugin effects directly & destructively onto the sample, hence fr eeing up CPU but you could hear the effect first before you printed it.
I’ve really pecked several people to do this and it did get finally done in Renoise but its still not as accurate as PP, gain is not handled correctly last time i checked, Renoise has that great highlight part of the arrangement thing but the gain doesn’t get worked out properly when you have a bunch of fx, be top if this is fixed now?
The other reason this feature is so good and powerful is because most people these days setup EQs on each channel etc and they just sit there wasting CPU and most importantly the urge to carry on tweaking it always remains.
You would be amazed how it can train your brain to get it right the first time when you are forced to make a decision about EQ and then can’t change it, a bit like with a digital camera, you just take loads of shit pictures of the same thing instead of one thats right, I’m generalising.
But every sampler VST i’ve seen does this as well, its the wrong way to do it, all your plugins should be available in the sample editor to apply to samples, not on the mixer, well you need both.
I think its because in the beginning of audio on DAWS, coders were fixated about replicating real mixing desks and recording bands but this didn’t take into account the new way people were going to start using DAW’s
But even if you can’t take that discipline you could just have an undo history on the sample…so you wouldn’t have to re EQ the EQ if it were wrong…you could also have an amazing cpu guzzling EQ on every sound.
It just doesn’t make any sense to have a live EQ on static samples…yet every DAW does this, unless I missed one? Ive checked all of them and they all do that…frustrating when everyone goes down the same wrong road.
Also helped code some really different sounding granular and FFT plugs for it which was the icing on the cake…
But it was really limited so would prefer those functions in Renoise rather than resurrecting good old PP.‘’

5 Likes

Ok, i really need a very important function (at least for me) what should very easy to Code. Playing my selection in Pattern. The Block Mode is useless for me. I not want limited from Patternblock ranges. Play and loop a Selection in Pattern make much more sense!

happy tacking