Wishes for next releases

Oh, okay. It is about separating the “pattern-tracks” (individual slots in the matrix), so that each one can have a certain number of lines. Interesting!
I guess the limit of 1000 patterns would have to be increased somehow. Or, allow tracks without slots in the array after the limit is exceeded.
It seems technically possible, even keeping compatibility with old songs.

I guess the values of LPB, BPM and TPL should be kept as global.

2 Likes

Hence why a standard arranger with freeform “blocks/clips” (e g midi clips, audio clips) would be nice. But then the software suddenly goes into another paradigm. I would have much preferred this route to the current old school blocky nature of trackers (it’s a stretch calling the current pattern matrix an arranger view). A global timeline with clips.

Well… that’s probably another software.

2 Likes

Could be another optional layer above the current concept, which wouldn’t break anything. Useable in an arrangement like in Sunvox:

So we could create intro / verse etc with the old concept and then put them into a clip arranger, where i can also layer them. Its something similar like Reason Blocks, but in Reason Blocks it was not possible to layer.
Or just use the old concept for drums clip, melody clip etc. and use them like in the FL playlist editor.
At the it would be like a “song”-phrase, similar like an instrument phrase.

2 Likes

I dont think that this is the right basic for audio track synchronisation. Better give us 2 Markers like a slicing marker that can move forward/backward in the Audioinformationstream. Some that move audio track content and some that shrink/expand audio content. This could be implemented horizontal or vertical and would be easy to use to quantizing the audio lyriks on pattern notes. Changing the LPB and with that changing the tempo of the entire pattern to sync with audiotrack is not a good ideo for me. But maybe i missunderstood you, my english is not the best.

happy tracking :slight_smile:

Indeed, I was referring to being able to access this feature that comment @Neuro_No_Neuro without modifying these tempo values. Currently, these values are general for all tracks. There is no BPM or LPB per track.

@joule’s “place selected notes evenly” tool is a great stand in for assignable LPB per track. Very easy to do polymeter/polyrhythm and n-tuplets per track with it
@Neuro_No_Neuro, have you tried using this tool? I could imagine it opening up some nice rhythms for you…

1 Like

Not yet! :sunglasses:

I would even remove pattern repeat and maybe even aliases… To simplify and reshapen what’s left then, following more a common, standard daw linear concept as seen in the other daws.

For anything polyrhythmic, phrases can be used and extended. Also midi recording in phrases would be great, or some easy handling to mark a note range and make it a phrase. And phrases could be marked in the normal pattern editor, showing its notes slightly washed out or so. Then the phrase editor currently feels cripped and IMO should feel like the normal editor instead. Maybe it could be even possible to not use the phrase editor at all to make a phrase. Please think about it. These are the real workflow improvements.

Instead adding once again another layer of complexity, IMO better improve what’s there and even cut away which is redundant. E.g. pattern repeat is awkward, it was originally introduced in soundtracker to save some bytes of ram. It also causes a lot of problems in the API, at pattern boundaries and so on.

Also think that development would benefit from reducing complexity. I can imagine how development in such a complex project works (knowing this from webdev): You adjust one setscrew, and immediately it has a ton of consequences you even did not imagine, if your technical structure wasn’t well separated from beginnnig. And since Renoise was kind of “wildly grown”, even based on Arguru’s thing at first, this might cause an immense slowdown in development. I guess that there are some kind of unit- and integration tests, but even then, writing a ton of of tests also takes a lot of time. And tests need to be fixed, too, if the base structure changes. So the bigger the whole project is, the slower a little single change will be to implement.

My respect here for Taktik again for his incredible work. C++ is the royal league, and a single minor bug already can cause a crash. Would love to have the passion like him and his team.

Happy Easter!

3 Likes

Yes, the Renoise project is impressive. May I mention one small request that I don’t think has been mentioned before… True non-visibility of tracks. My song projects get way too convoluted due to using different tracks between chorus and verse, and the current track collapsing still convolutes the pattern view. I want to have only the tracks I’m working with in view. This has always been hell when it comes to trackers, for no real reason.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I think it would be nice with a native Ducker device that precisely goes to the volume at the point where you set it to because the current method with Keytracker/LFO/Gainer is a bit wonky with that smoothing tail it has going.

1 Like

It would be great to be able to automate effects in the Phrase window. Yes, you can now do it through the LFO, but it takes a long time and is not always accurate. and by the way, it was cool to have an LFO in the form of a tracker (by analogy with phrases). and of course a mixer plug-in with the ability to FM AM PD and subtract the spectrum of the input signal. and it would be awesome to be able to import impulses directly from the current project and not from the library.

2 Likes

better Font Rendering
Font simple to change about fontdialog
better theming support (no autocontrast using, no linked colorvalue between different controls
audio support with move/strech/shrink abilitys to sync with pattern content
api control with hardware accelerated canvas painting and custom mouse handling ( for tools like simple pianoroll)

happy tracking :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done this before and I think it’s the best workaround available. Good explanation!

Yes, packaging that functionality as a macro rather than “bolting it on” to the sampler or pattern editor makes sense. So many of the sample properties are features that could be modulated expressively if we had a macro to control them. As it stands, I usually “set these and forget them”.

SAMPLE RECORDER - AUTO PLAY LIVE
I’m still holding out hope for updates to the sample recorder to streamline the process of adding samples and placing them in the pattern editor.
If there were an option to automatically enter a C-4 “note on” at the first line of the pattern where we pressed “record/start”, new samples could instantly be available within the playing song. This would not only improve the tool for us live performance artists, but make it easier during the creative process to keep our hands on our instrument rather than having to fiddle with Renoise each time we add a track. Having this functionality be accessible via a MIDI foot controller or Launchpad-type-thing would open up Renoise to different types of artists, I think.

2 Likes

I’d like a sidechain receiver device. Using the Gate preview trick isn’t ideal because the sidechain filter is never fully open. MRatio is okay but it’s not built in.

It would also be nice to be able to split stereo outputs in the audio routing menu (for Addictive Drums 2, etc.) For now my method is to duplicate each track via Sidechain and then convert to mono with a Stereo Expander on each track. One drawback is that if the track with the Sidechain device is muted, then the “duplicate” is also muted.

3 Likes

Variable pattern lengths per track (like described above by another user) with longer track lengths and live jamming oriented features with good midi controller support, so we could do things like are possible with hardware devices like Polyend or Digitakt (which, from it’s way of working and capabilities seems like it’s based on some sort of tracker engine with a different user interface).

2 Likes

Delete unused dsp effects, similar to the delete unused patterns function.I know there is a tool but really this should be in renoise, imo.

Option for VIM navigation in the editor. I really dislike using arrow keys.

1 Like

I would like to see a multi audio out from a generated drumkit in Renoise sampler. The thing is, when writing notes from one drumkit to several tracks {Kick - Snare - Hats - Perc ], sometimes the sound goes out Only through one of those channels where i typed the highest amount of notes [in my case it is hats or perc], especially when two notes are played at the same time. It really confuses me every time i use a drumkit on several patterns / channels.