Your history as a musician

When have you started creating music and why?
How did you compose your music and what style do you prefer?

My story:
I the year 1991 my best friend introduced a program called SoundTracker to me at the age of 12. I was addicted to electronic music since the age of 4, and I was always a creative mind, so I started playing around with sounds on SoundTracker. SoundTracker was the first known tracker on the Amiga 500, which was the best computer back then. That was the time when Commodore, the manufactorer of C16, C64 and Amiga, was really big before it disappeared and was being replaced by PC. After a whle there was a successor of SoundTracker called NoiseTracker, and shortly after that another successor appeared, called ProTracker. That was my DAW for years until 1997. And it wasn’t bad, I almost signed a contract with A&R FAX Records at the age of 14 and got invited in their studio, but it never happened because I wasn’t persistent enough for getting this contract. I thought the lack of sound quality would always be there as long as I create music on Amiga, otherwise I would have accepted the invitation and had signed for sure. By the way, the music I made back then was primarily Techno. Meanwhile I tried Cubase and using hardware gear in a musician’s workshop on Atari ST, but that was absolutely not the way I would like to create music. It’s way too awkward working with it. So in 1997 I finally switched to PC, because Commodore wasn’t anymore and I didn’t want to continue creating music in a limited sound quality with only 4 tracks. Luckily there was a successor on PC called FastTracker, which was my DAW for exactly 6 weeks. It was exactly the same like ProTracker on Amiga, but without the limitation of 4 tracks. Suddenly even a single instrument took much more memory space than a whole song made with ProTracker. But finally I was able to work with the number of tracks I needed. The reason why I only worked about 6 weeks with FastTracker was because my PC only worked for 6 weeks, then one part after another fell apart, nothing worked right anymore, so I gave up and didn’t want to be a PC user anymore. I didn’t like PCs anyway, I was a Commodore user. I was that frustrated when it comes to my PC, that I completely stopped creating music.I couldn’t imagine going back to ProTracker with only 4 tracks and a limited sound quality. 11 years later in the year 2008 my relationship to my girl back then has ended and I needed something for distraction, so a friend of mine introduced SkaleTracker to me, which was an unfinished freeware FastTracker clone, so I started creating something with it. Time went by and I wanted to get better in every aspect, but SkaleTracker had too many limitations. You couldn’t use VSTs and many functions weren’t working, because SkaleTracker was unfinished. Luckily at this point Renoise was recommended to me, that was in the year 2011. Since then I’m a happy Renoise user and finally everything I’ve always wanted is there. Now I can use VSTs, I can use as many tracks as I need and I can drop a beat as fast as before, because Renoise is a tracker with advanced possibilities. And a tracker is much more intuitive than anything else, it’s very easy to handle. But not only the DAW changed, my music style, too. Since 10 years I prefer creating Elektro and since round about one year I also create Synthwave. Thanks to Renoise (yes, and a little bit to my skills, too) I even have got an official release on a french Elektro label called Ukonx Recordings. And I’m absolutely not a pro! There’s absolutely not enough time to even think about becoming more professional. From 2013 until 2018 I also had to stop creating music because there was no time (self-employment isn’t easy). Music is just a hobby and will ever be, but a big one. :wink:

So that’s my story. What about you?

15 Likes

Haha, I have similar story with Cubase…

• 1985 Learned the basics on Commodore 64 with futurecomposer and soundmonitor, made a few tunes for the demoscene. I am in forever love with the C64 sound!
  • 1990 That carried over to the Commodore Amiga where the maintool was Protracker, just a bit disappointing it didn’t have a synth chip like the c64.
  • 1994 Started using FastTracker on PC
  • 1997 I bought some hardware but I couldn’t find a decent tracker to use so I really tried getting comfortable with Cubase, that was doomed, the fact that you couldn’t recall settings easily and using the mouse so much threw me off composing for a very very long time…
  • 2002 until Renoise popped up and I started making some music again. I tried Skaletracker, Madtracker and some other stuff before but they just weren’t good enough.
  • 2020 Fast forward to yesterday when I finally got something released on a music aggregator :slight_smile:
8 Likes

started music school for accordion around 2004
fl studio around 2007, brother and his friends started using it so when they got out I did take my turn.

after 2 years started using acid pro, after approx 1 year reason 5

for several years using ableton live. meanwhile going in high music school and various music related activities (church choir etc)

started music academy for music pedagogy, did 3 years, in that time it was mostly reason and ableton live

5 years ago Ive got the mpc studio and was using only, asstandalone for a year or so

~4 years ago started using renoise mainly, mixbus 32c came along.

bitwig is in primary focus so far

a lot of years behind daw

and whatnot in between :slight_smile:

5 Likes

man I was just getting born when you started using fast tracker 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m very new on this forum but also have a story:

Since 1992 I was a computer kid with my ZX Spectrum device. There was my cool school time.
First sounds that I was trying to made on speccy is BASIC program with BEEP operators like this (example from inet):
10 PRINT “Frere Gustav”
20 BEEP 1,0: BEEP 1,2: BEEP .5,3: BEEP.5,2: BEEP 1,0
30 BEEP 1,0: BEEP 1,2: BEEP .5,3: BEEP.5,2: BEEP 1,0
40 BEEP 1,3: BEEP 1,5: BEEP 2,7
50 BEEP 1,3: BEEP 1,5: BEEP 2,7
60 BEEP .75,7: BEEP .25,8: BEEP .5,7: BEEP .5,5:BEEP .5,3: BEEP.5,2: BEEP 1,0
70 BEEP .75,7: BEEP .25,8: BEEP .5,7: BEEP .5,5: BEEP .5,3: BEEP .5,2: BEEP 1,0
80 BEEP 1,0: BEEP 1,-5: BEEP 2,0
90 BEEP l,0: BEEP 1,-5: BEEP 2,0

Not very handy but something. Unfortunnaly I was lose my interest to composing very soon.

Second try was on PC at 1994-1996. Were was a dawn of electronic music and such music groups like Scooter, Blumchen, Interactive and indeed - Music instructor: “We would like to show you how to make a hit record…”
I never forget their “Hymn”. The great knowlege just in one song. Now I figured out about them - there was a group of professional sound operators who started to make their own music.

First steps i made with Sound Forge 4. It was just a sampler like Audacity but I was know nothing about music software.
So that sampler was my first “DAW”. Many hours I spend cutting sounds, transposing them and move some pieces of music between different compositions. And I really LIKE it.

Now I did’t remember where I found a Scream Tracker editor but it was fantastic. From that time I have started to make my own noise.
Second step was Fast Tracker 2 with amazing graphical interface. And many many hours was spended over it.
Third was an Impulse Tracker - soft like Scream Tracker on steroids. Only then I started to suspect that music is not only notes - it something more complicated. This is how I discovered sound effects.
Last soft I have tried was Buzz editor - modular and powerful but with a hellish inhuman interface.
It was maybe 1998.

… And I forgot about music software for many years. Because I was stupid and think that only expensive professional equipment can be used for composing.

At 2015 I remember the old good times and started to serch Internet for new trackers or maybe something like that. And YES.

You guess - I find Renoise. And only then I have understand how music creation works. Effect chains like in Buzz but with my beloved tracker interface, VST support, good documentation.

I was happy and work with Renoise till autumn 2018. And stopped again till autumn 2019 when i was desided to purchase a full version. And I stop again (you know) till september 2020.

And now I’m here :rofl:

A thing that pushed me to creative:

9 Likes

Probably Mahler would’ve been impressed. (He’d need to correct the tiny typo in line 90 to finish his tune :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

It’s already a long story!

I started to compose with Scream Tracker in 1996, and months ago I switched to Impulse Tracker. I also entered the French demoscene (nickname: Xenon) and participated to a few demoparties :partying_face: in France and Belgium with friends, that was fun!

• 1998-2005 : I composed musics (with trackers) for some professional videogames and products released on Playstation, PC, Nintendo DS… That was not really famous games, but a good experience.

• 2005 : I released a first album of healing music (L’instant Présent), and the point is that I switched to Renoise on this album, and this pushed-up the sound quality of my music (VSTi, a good internal reverb…).

• 2010 : I released the healing album Reiki Plénitude. This is still my personnal best-seller album, still today. Made mainly with Renoise too!
The first track of this album have some lot of views on Youtube, check-it up!

• 2010-2016 : continue with my healing music project and released some new albums.

• 2016-2019 : less active in music

• 2019 I started a tiny kawaii-future-bass project Make A Wish, inspired by animes and Japanese-pop musics.

• 2020 My entry won Mutant Breaks #12 :open_mouth: (Hey! That’s the first time I win a musical contest! Even if at random! :rofl:)

Then… I often switch between professional to non-professional projects into music… It’s as my inspiration bring me (and that’s why I keep a side job as a graphic designer :yum: :pencil2: ).

And now… to be continued!

7 Likes

age 6 around 1986 or so i started singing on my dads karaoke machine ( i sang a lot then )
age 11 around 1991 or so at school started messing with keyboards
software wise i didn’t get started with and computers and software until around age 30 about 2010 with cubase sx ( before then never owned a pc only play stations , just used keyboards tbh
i used reason for a while after cubase then i found renoise this year and i proper love it
I’m 40 now and getting serious the most i ever have before i mostly sing and play keys

5 Likes

I found a demo on one of the floppy disks that came with pc magazines back in the day, it let me compose music using the pc speaker. I think it was 4 bits, absolutely horrible sound quality, but it got me hooked. Next thing was to save up for a soundblaster pro and i started making something that sounded more and more like music with screamtracker 3. Years, and many DAWs later i was introduced to Renoise…

3 Likes

I started playing accordion as a little child somewhere around '85. Soon I’ve got my first Yamaha PSR keyboard as a gift and liked it better than accordion because it had various sounds, drums, rhytms…

In '89 I’ve got my first computer (ZX Spectrum) and started programming first beeps on it. A year later, I replaced it with Commodore 64, which sounded way better and in 92 I got my first Amiga 500, which blew me away with sound capabilities. At this time, electronic music started to take off (eurodance, rave…) and I made a few short songs in Protracker, but nothing much to be proud of. I replaced A500 with Amiga 1200 in '94, also got sampler (TechnoSound Turbo II) and was mostly having fun with it without really making much music.

In 96 I switched to PC with Soundblaster AWE32, but didn’t really make any music with it. It just wasn’t as cool to work with as Amiga. At this time, I was mostly listening to goa trance, but also started to grow interest in hip hop. In '98 I’ve got Cakewalk, started to write hip hop lyrics and recorded first original demo track with a friend. In '99, I remixed this track in Rebirth and in 2000 we made another one.

In 2001 I upgraded to a new PC and got Reason 1, This was really a turning point, Reason really unleashed my creativity. In '02 I made some demos with it in and in '03 I released first demo EP and started a hip hop group with another friend. We released a full album the same year, all beats made in Reason, vocals recorded and mixed in Acid Pro.

After that, I started to feel limitations of Reason, mostly because there was no internal sampling and it was basically pretty clumsy for sample based music. I started to look around for some new trackers and found Renoise 1.26. Since I also got my first job this year I could finally afford to buy software, so Renoise 1.5 was my first music program that I bought. It was absolutely ace for hip hop and I made a whole bunch of beats with it, some for myself and also for some other artists.

In '09 I switched to Mac and got Logic 9. I was still doing music in Renoise, and Logic was great for recording and mixing vocals. In '12 we released a new album. Beats were made with Renoise (me), Reason and Ableton (other two members of the group), vocals recorder and mixed in Logic.

In following years, we kind of went to different paths. I started to grow interest in electronica again, especially psychedelic trance and psybient, which I loved before I went hip hop. So this is also the sound I’m mostly playing with in Renoise and Logic X these days. I also got myself Reason 11 Intro to use as a plugin and really enjoying using old Subtractor, Redrum, Scream4 and other devices inside a Renoise (luckily on Mac it works as an AU). Remains to be seen if I’ll make anything worthwhile listening to :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve never been much of a musician but I’ve always been madly in love with music.

I grew up in Brooklyn in the 90s in a household that listened only to hip hop and R&B (Hot 97) but at 12 years old I discovered two Saturday night shows called “Solid State with Liquid Todd” and “The Urban Jungle Show” (with DJs Matt Boogie and Al Boogie) and discovered techno and breaks and Jungle all kinds of electronic music I’d never heard of before. This impacted me greatly. My musical taste started growing and I started recording everything I liked from the shows to cassette. My hobby eventually grew to recording any song, sound or clip of whatever I liked to cassette.

In high school I dreamed of playing an instrument or doing ANYTHING in music or sound design but did not know where to begin to learn - it seemed all the kids who were in jazz band already had experience and their own instruments. For the yearbook they asked me what future occupation I wanted under my picture and I told them I wanted to be a DJ! My school refused to print it because according to them I was wasting my smarts and should have tried to become a doctor or lawyer so they printed “Undecided”. For my graduation present I was given MTV Music Generator (aka Music 2000) for Playstation which was all I wanted at the time!

After graduation I’d had enough of the city, and I left home with my Playstation and took a bus across the country to stay in the middle of the Arizona desert for a few months. My fondest memories out there were of my cousin and I walking for hours in the desert and then coming back to the trailer and seeing who could put together the best tracks. Any style went, we would just see who could make the most unique stuff. Then we would tape our recordings to cassette and listen to them like we were super stars or something haha. I just wanted to make tracks like The Chemical Brothers, Underworld and the Prodigy. If I had known what a tracker was back then I can only imagine what I would have done.

I eventually wound up as a working stiff in retail, but on my day off I would dedicate time to try to learn anything I could musically - just watching live and experimental acts and trying to pick up things from observing what they were doing. I couldn’t quite play an instrument yet, I just really wanted the understanding of the question “what is music?”. I had discovered Warp and Rephlex and Solid Steel and had collected tons of old thrift store records to hear new sounds and ideas - any genre at all from drone to Ethiopian Jazz - And for stress relief I would still record random sounds and my own songs and sound collages on my BR900 as journal entries.

One day I picked up two CDs from the library, “Endtroducing…” by DJ Shadow and 12 Etudes by Claude Debussy which changed my life. “Endtroducing…” took hip hop sampling and sound collage as an art and showed me that it could be done beautifully. And the Debussy etudes just blew my mind with ideas on piano that I did not know could be expressed. I was so impressed I bought a cheap 61 key keyboard and started trying to play all of the Debussy Ravel and Chopin sheet music I could find at the library. I quickly learned that 61 keys wouldn’t cut it haha so I would go to the music store for hours and try to learn on their digital pianos and in my spare time read about music theory (which I didn’t understand fully but it still helped!). I was never close to a professional level but it helped me understand on an amateur level. After this, I started going to school again in my early 20’s with the goal of pursuing a degree in music composition but it had to stop when my mother passed away suddenly and I had to care for my younger brother for a few years. I had to put the music dream on hold and I work in the medical field now - but I never stopped recording my musical journal entries.

A few years ago I met my wife who I knew I had to tell about this strange relationship I had with music and she encouraged me to continue to find more ways to express my thoughts which is how I found Renoise a little over 2 years ago. Renoise has everything I could ask for when it comes to creating, and on evenings after long days at work there’s nothing like sitting down and just making some noise. There is always something more to learn and I truly wish I had discovered Renoise ten years earlier than I did but better late than never!

12 Likes

I’m a bit surprised you managed to circle around ModPlug Tracker.

Me? Yes, I also managed to “circle around” OctaMED on Amiga, which was the only tracker that had more than 4 tracks. I didn’t use a lot of trackers on Amiga and PC. FastTracker on PC even had the same pattern effect commands like SoundTracker, NoiseTracker and ProTracker on Amiga, so it was the perfect match for me anyway. And I also never had the opportunity to check other stuff on PC, because as I wrote my first PC died after a few weeks and I hated PCs anyway, so of course I didn’t buy a new one, instead I stopped creating music for more than a decade. What about you?

2 Likes

Hi!

I have always been a hobbyist musician.

Around 1988-1989 (12 years old) I started to make my own tunes on MSX computer (just programming, basic).

In the early nineties I began to compose tunes on Amiga (Protracker), and I think that was when I really started to get interested in music making. Uploaded some tracks to Aminet and later Mod Archive. (Stamen / ST Arts). I made music with protracker and Amiga until the year 2000.

I bought my first synth around year 2000 and my first experiments with MIDI (this time I used PC and ZTracker)

2005 MadTracker experiments

2007 Everdune spacesynth project was born - Bought my first Renoise lisence

2017 Lightracer synthwave project was born - still using Renoise

2024 Still making new music, both Everdune and Lightracer projects still lives on - and I’m still using Renoise.

3 Likes

I’ve always done this very procrastinatorily and inconsistently, “when in the mood”, and almost entirely just as a hobby, since I don’t know if I possess the right temperament to make music as a full-time bread-earner.

Pre-1996: I had been regularly collecting Amiga/FastTracker/ImpulseTracker music modules for years prior, from BBSes and the early pre-web Internet. What got me curious about techno and electronic music, and eventually producing it, were two things: In 1996 (er, 97?), MTV began running a late-night show called AMP which completely blew my mind. For an insulated suburban middle-class teenager living in a boring city that had no real music “scene” besides country/jazz festivals in the downtown park, and most of my music collection were Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson albums along with random videogame soundtracks I downloaded… so those episodes of AMP felt like I was peering into a portal to another planet. That got me hooked into Kraftwerk, Future Sound of London, Mouse on Mars, etc. Second, I should also credit Nine Inch Nails: certain later EPs like Perfect Drug and Further Down The Spiral acted as “gateway drugs” that redirected my curiosity’s focus toward other music that resided outside of that bubble of nihilistic industrial stuff, especially Aphex Twin and The Orb. (and then I’d discover other artists from reading who THOSE people collab’d with, etc)

1996-97: made a couple of unlistenable turds in FastTracker, using kettle/sawtooth/piano/etc samples I stole from Future Crew and Triton demo tunes. That’s it, just two.

1998-2007: made a mountain of unlistenable turds in ModPlug and Jeskola Buzz. By statistical anomaly (because it sure as hell wasn’t from disciplined training or knowledge of music theory), I occasionally made a few decent tunes along the way.

2008-09: international economy crashed. So, I was unemployed and had lots of free time, and that’s when I became noticably better at this thing. Quality and quantity of output increased considerably since I was able to make music about 6-10 hours a day, and I bought a pair of studio-monitor speakers that sounded so crisp and clear. Made some of my favorite compositions in Jeskola Buzz during these two years. Last usage of ModPlug was during this time.

2014: bought Renoise, and finally ditched Buzz in 2015. Had enough of Buzz crashing 20 times a day, and randomly blasting bursts of ear-destroying noise for no reason at all. Renoise is probably the best software decision I made, at least as far as music goes :smile: . Ozric Tentacles became my favorite band around this time, for several years.

2012-2016: released various stashed material for free download on a few albums/EPs via the Japan-based BumpFoot netlabel, and an EP on some other netlabel whose name I can’t remember (I don’t think it exists anymore, anyway). Music that was “good enough” to share publicly, but still not at a quality/fidelity suitable for commercial ambitions imo.

2012-2022: Developed a videogame starting in 2012 and finally finished and released it in 2022 – it was a first-person dungeon crawler RPG (“blobber”) called Jettatura, one of the few games out there written in Common Lisp. The ingame music was technically the last of my music I ever released, as of now. Used Renoise and MuseScore (first and hopefully last time I’ll ever touch traditional sheet-notation, ugh). Also, I remember making a single The Orb-inspired tune for some fellow’s javascript-based Mahjongg game in a game-jam group I was briefly in.

2017-early 2024: Game soundtracks aside, I otherwise had a long, weighty, lingering creative dry-spell for reasons that I won’t get into. Maybe finished two or three tunes during this entire timespan.

2024: As part of a massive spring-cleaning task earlier this year, I took my entire physical music collection out of storage to rip and archive all of it. While doing this I re-discovered an appreciation of specifically Autechre and Boards of Canada that I somehow forgot I once had. Bought the rest of their respective catalogs that I’d completely missed out on since the mid-2000s and, in the midst of many long “catch-up listening” sessions back in March or April or whatever, something in my brain “clicked”. I can’t explain it other than it felt like a switch was flicked to the On position; and I’ve been on an absolute tear with music-making this year. Maybe the percussion of Flep dislodged an old gob of cholesterol stuck in my brain. Anyway, four(!!) tracks have been completed these past three months, and I’d also made at least a “sketch” a day, many of which are also solid enough quality to make them worth the time to continue later and complete.

Currently: I bought a Max/MSP license earlier this year and already made some awkward-sounding semi-FM synths and basic drum machines in it. Whenever I become more knowledgable and competent with it (DSP programming theory is a much deeper rabbit hole than I ever anticipated it’d be!!), I’ll try and experiment with ways to interface Max patchers with Renoise. Unfortunately, Cycling74 removed ReWire support from Max very recently (which is utter bullcrap) so … I’ll try to figure something out. Also, I’ve been beginning to dabble in composing in unconventional tone scales for the first time.

3 Likes

Well me…
My first instrument was set of drums. I think I was 7 years old back then, mid 90’s. I was very much interested in metal music for the rest of that decade. Without a band I lost my interest in playing drums, I played 'em by myself just for fun for about 7-8 years. Around 2001-2002 I took a steep turn for some reason and started listening to rap music. I soon found a specific type of rap that appealed to me (Atoms Family, DefJux, Deltron 3030). One of my friends happened to be using ModPlug tracker and I got seriously interested when he mentioned about it. I wanted to start making music as I was always a creative kind of person but I didn’t know anything about music making software of anykind. So he taught me and composing days for me began ('04 or '05, can’t remember exatcly).

That alternate-rap era for me lasted until 2006 when I found an artist who’s music totally changed the game for me: Moodflow (Jeff Quick). I had never felt before like: this is it, this is my kind of music! Like something I’d been always looking for just not knowing exactly what it is. That directed me into making and listening to ambient/downtempo/chillout music. Along the way every once in a while something new got thrown into mix.

At this point - and that was '07 - I met a friend of my friend who made trance music. He was using FL-Studio and introduced me to all the “mind blowing” stuff like automation and lfo’s on filters etc. I felt like that’s all that stuff I always needed, dayum! So I changed into traditional daw composing. It was not long after that I heard about Renoise for the first time when I was in military. I heard it from a guy who actually used Reason so he couldn’t give me tons of information about Renoise. It sounded to me like just another tracker with just some more features. I had recently changed to FL-S and I was exited about it so I didn’t feel like turning right back to where I came from.

So, I travelled through many genres (never really leaving ambient elements) with FL-S from 2007 to 2024… darn, that’s 17 years (I think I said 18 in some other thread). There was - starting from those I mentioned - ambient, downtempo, chillout, world fusion, ethno fusion, folk fusion, cinematic/soundtrack, atmospheric breaks and jazz.

Last spring '24 I took a closer look at Renoise, not sure what made me do it now. I guess there was some yearn back to tracker environment. I’ve had a pretty fluent start with Renoise, no problems, nothing to complain about. Right now I keep going with Renoise making some sort of ambient-downtempo-jazz, not sure what it is.

1 Like

How did I forget this… One of the most important things.
I started making and playing flutes in 2013, it has defined my music making and composing ever since.