How To Manually Install Xrnx Files

Intro

I believe some people are having trouble installing xrnx files by drag and dropping them in the renoise window, so here’s how to manually install them.

1. Make sure you see hidden files and folders (windows only)
  2. Unzip the XRNX you want to install (Yes, XRNX is just an undercover .zip) You might need to rename it, enabling the display of file extensions might help you to do so if needed)
  3. Now you have “main.lua” and “manifest.xml”, create a new folder and rename it to match the name of that good ol’ XRNX file. (example: com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx)
  4. Move the folder to the following folder:

Windows 7:

C:\Users\"Your username here"\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.6.0\Scripts\Tools  

OS X:

Macintosh HD\Users\"Your username here"\Library\Preferences\Renoise\V2.6.0\Scripts\Tools  

That means your new folder now called “com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx” should now be in the Tools folder.

If one of these folders doesn’t exist (mostly “Scripts” or “Tools”), you can create it.

5a) Restart Renoise or
5b) Enable the scripting Developing tools and hit “Reload All Tools…” (See !Introduction.txt in the XRNX code repository for more info)

Hope this helps!

Currently having this problem on OS X Snow Leopard.
Checked the log file and found:

Exception: Failed to create the destination directory ‘/Users/keyg/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V2.6.0/Scripts/Tools/com.renoise.Nibbles.xrnx/Bitmaps/’
Exception: Failed to create the destination directory ‘/Users/keyg/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V2.6.0/Scripts/Tools/com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx/Duplex/’

thanks for this - drag and drop might not be the best idea for linux, as it is not really consistent from one environment to another - doesn’t work with mine, for example. A simple menu “add a tool” opening a file manager would be nice.

I had some strange behaviour on Mac Snow Leopard.
Some devices installed without any problem with drag and drop (Slicer, Wave generator, Arpeggiator), while Duplex and BeatSlicer didn’t install at all, I drag the xrnxs from their folder to Renoise and nothing at all happened.
I tried to install them manually following the instructions above, but Renoise in the Tool Browser it would only list them as folder, without any content.
Also note that inside the xrns files there were more files than just main.lua and manifest

Automageddon: please update to the latest Renoise 2.6 version, beta 2. there it should simply work…

Oh thanks for the sticky.

[quote=“JBL”]
Intro

I believe some people are having trouble installing xrnx files by drag and dropping them in the renoise window, so here’s how to manually install them.

1. Make sure you see hidden files and folders (windows only)
  2. Unzip the XRNX you want to install (Yes, XRNX is just an undercover .zip) You might need to rename it, enabling the display of file extensions might help you to do so if needed)
  3. Now you have “main.lua” and “manifest.xml”, create a new folder and rename it to match the name of that good ol’ XRNX file. (example: com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx)
  4. Move the folder to the following folder:

Windows 7:

C:\Users\"Your username here"\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.6.0\Scripts\Tools  

Hi JBL, and all the people,

drag and dropp XRNX not work to me? please some help!.

I have Renoise 2.5.1 / win vista . My directory dont have \Scripts\Tools folders,but no problem, i can create this new folders to next put my “main.lua” and “manifest.xml” - But next i don´t see a window to select any Tool inside Renoise soft?

Ok, this tutorial explain something: https://code.google.com/p/xrnx/

"Opening Renoise’s config.xml file from the preferences folder, and set the ShowScriptingDevelopmentTools property to “true”. This way, you don’t have to pass the above mentioned argument all the time. If you don’t know where to find the Renoise preference folder, open Renoise and click on “Help” -> “Show Preferences Folder…”

Ok, I am checking my config.xml file and it does not have “ShowScriptingDevelopmentTools property”, is really difficult install finally the tools in my 2.5.1 version. I don´t understand that more to do…

Thanks

Tools are only for renoise 2.6. You have to download the latest beta from the backstage section.

What Bystrano said :)

wuup! :blink: Really thanks man!

Hi, I am using the latest version of Renoise 2.7beta and tried to download a few of the tools.
They are all disabled as soon as I drag them onto Renoise, saying that I have to get the “latest version” of the tools.
I used drop’n’drag, i’m on windows XP.
I thought the tools are compatible with 2.6 and up, so what is causing conflict?
cheers

Changes to the API, Tools have to be updated for 2.7, as was announced when the first Beta was released.

OK, that explains it.
Thanx

The script catalog in 2.7 seem to bee in the renoise folder rather than the place mentioned in the first post(which was for 2.6 i reckon). but i still cant find the tools folder in there. im pretty shure that i have set windows 7 to show all hidden files and folders.

anyone know what i need to do?

If you have 2.7.0 it should be in
C:\Users"Your username here"\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.7.0\Scripts\Tools

for 2.7.2 it should be in:
C:\Users"Your username here"\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.7.2\Scripts\Tools

Each version has its own designated folder.