New Tool (3.0): Note Properties

On Tool Site:

http://www.renoise.com/tools/note-properties

Renoise 3.1 version: (1.1)

ledger.scripts.NoteProperties_V1.1.xrnx (6.3 KB)

Note Preoperties lrg.png

This tool gives you extra controls to manipulate the currently selected note and its properties. It is useful for visual feedback and fine adjustments of values via the mouse.

It`s particularly useful for drum programming, adding groove, ghost notes etc.

A small example mp3 beat made with its help;

http://picosong.com/9jCY/

renoise keyboard shortcut::
Tools: Note Properties

The GUI updates as you move about the pattern.
Note: The rotaries can be used with “Control + Mouse Left-Click-drag” for fine adjustments

Row 1: Can change the pitch of the current note with the dropdown or nudge a semitone

Row 2: Rotary sliders for changing vol/pan/delay column values. Also nudge buttons for the delay value that will shift the note up or down a row when min (00) or max (FF) values are reached. This will move the note to the first available column on the new line.

Row 3: Allows you to set pattern follow behaviour, so when you are looping and want to change values you can switch follow off easily:

v1.0

ledger.scripts.NoteProperties_V1.xrnx

The user setting for the renoise Lock keyboard focus state (in the renoise view menu) will not be modified now. The reason it did before was due to a workaround in the tool to get keys properly passed to the pattern editor. This fix should not affect people who leave Lock keyboard focus enabled, but should work properly now for those who don`t

–Following bug should be fixed:
adding false notes very occasionally while playing and the GUI is open

v.0.18
Note Properties sml.png

New version first post

v.0.18
–Following bug should be fixed:
adding false notes very occasionally while playing and the GUI is open

Up on Tools Page:

http://www.renoise.com/tools/note-properties

nice one!

This will definitely encourage me to bother using more finer values, rather than the usual lazy “40”, “10”, “80” etc.

nice one!

This will definitely encourage me to bother using more finer values, rather than the usual lazy “40”, “10”, “80” etc.

Yes my songs before this tool were littered with those values! :slight_smile:

I`m starting to push the boat out a lot more now!

edit: Just to re-state, that for finest control of the rotaries, use ctrl + left mouse drag. This makes it eassier to control to +/-1 values. The delay nudge button works to the +/-1 increments with the added feature of nudging the note up and down the pattern when max (FF) or min (00) values are hit.

Erm, I don’t see it under the Tool menu. There isn’t other error during installation, but it obviously means I can’t bring up the GUI. Any suggetstion about how I generate a debug report?

Erm, I don’t see it under the Tool menu. There isn’t other error during installation, but it obviously means I can’t bring up the GUI. Any suggetstion about how I generate a debug report?

You bring up the GUI via the keyboard shortcut: “Note Properties”:

Got it, Thanks, very neat tool. I can’t decide if it would be be improved by having an option to select a collection of notes or not.

Got it, Thanks, very neat tool. I can’t decide if it would be be improved by having an option to select a collection of notes or not.

I have considered this, though there is always the trade off from simplicity; having to check what mode you are in etc.

If you want a tool that can quickly set a selection of Velocity, Pan or Delay values I have another keyboard operated tool here that may help:

http://www.renoise.com/tools/setmetavalue

this tool is an incredible help for doing fine edits!

thanks a lot!

i do not know if it is possible to connect the sliders to cc-inputs to be altered by a midi controller…

i do not know if it is possible to connect the sliders to cc-inputs to be altered by a midi controller…

That`s something I can look at, but it is not currently possible in this version 0.18

Your tool doesn’t work on my computer. It doesn’t show in the tool menu. I have mac os 10.10.3 4ghz core i7 iMac and renoise 3.01. It would be real nice if you’d update the tool.

Your tool doesn’t work on my computer. It doesn’t show in the tool menu. I have mac os 10.10.3 4ghz core i7 iMac and renoise 3.01. It would be real nice if you’d update the tool.

Hi newbeeo,

This tool does not have a menu entry but a keybinding that can be assigned like all other shortcuts; in the renoise preferences

The shortcut to assign to the key/ combination of your choice is:

Tools: ~Note Properties

Thanks works just fine

–beta 1.0:

The user setting for the renoise Lock keyboard focus state (in the renoise view menu) will not be modified now. The reason it did before was due to a workaround in the tool to get keys properly passed to the pattern editor. This fix should not affect people who leave Lock keyboard focus enabled, but should work properly now for those who don`t

new beta in first post, bumped to version 1.0 with the quoted fix,

Will be added to tools site soon if no problems found

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-note-properties/41763

So useful for breakbeat-ish type stuff. Thanks.

So useful for breakbeat-ish type stuff. Thanks.

Ghost notes can certainly require getting into that precise detail!

Just a heads aswell up on another tool I wrote recently, that certainly speeds up beat creation here. I tend to use it in conjunction with Note Properties:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-quick-vol-ahdsr/43997

Hi,

I really like this idea of the the tool, IMO should be included in the advanced Editor column on the top!

And this is the point I don’t like while using any tool: the pop up windows of a tool do not integrate into the gui, instead overlay some content.

So I have these suggestions for your tool (maybe they are already inside and I did not realize):

• two shortcuts named “increase value under cursor” and “decrease value under cursor”, so you can for example hold down alt + cursor right to increase the value quickly and opposite. Mouse wheel + modifier would be also nice, but I guess it’s not possible to target.

• what about a shortcut in context menu track properties?

So I have these suggestions for your tool (maybe they are already inside and I did not realize):

• two shortcuts named “increase value under cursor” and “decrease value under cursor”, so you can for example hold down alt + cursor right to increase the value quickly and opposite. Mouse wheel + modifier would be also nice, but I guess it’s not possible to target.

• what about a shortcut in context menu track properties?

-Shortcuts could be interesting to look at, but mousewheel is not possible with current API.

-Menu makes sense here, will add it sometime

Hi,

I really like this idea of the the tool, IMO should be included in the advanced Editor column on the top!

And this is the point I don’t like while using any tool: the pop up windows of a tool do not integrate into the gui, instead overlay some content.

There was some discussion about tools modifying the renoise GUI sometime ago, I think the safest idea was to have a tools, toolbar of some sort, to save renoise getting too much of a botched facelift!

1 Like

I really like this tool.

Would you consider adding an option to make the tool-window appear next to, or under, the note being manipulated?

I’ve been using Note Properties on a larger screen and often the note I’m looking at is further eye-distance away from the center point in the screen where your tool-windows opens. I realize this is nitpicking a bit, but I’m just suggesting it might improve the ‘flow’ to have this tool pop up in view right next to the note it’s working on (Or, is this already a thing and I’m doing something wrong?)

6211 Renoise Forum 2015-10-23 .jpg