New Tool: (3.1) Random Plug (Feb 2019)

Random Plug

Download:

Tools Site

v 0.58 upgraded the Preset button random search method

A simple tool that suggests a random instrument and a random effect plug to load. Also when a plugin instrument is loaded and makes its presets available in renoise you can select them at random using the Preset button which will have turned green.

• Find some of your old forgotten favourites.
  • Dig yourself out of creative slumps!
  • Unearth those demos you forgot to uninstall!

Ran Plug 0.57

Keybinding:

Global:Tools:~ Random Plug

menus:

Tools:Ledger`s Scripts: ~ Random Plug
Instrument Box :~ Random Plug

Related Complementary Tool:

My Other Scripts:

Changelog, Click To View

-V0.59 Added:
When the sampler is focused with a selected fx device chain, the plug will load the effect there instead of to the main track.
v 0.57 Added a Preset button next to the instrument slot selector. If a plug has presets that are selectable in renoise then the button will turn green. Press to load a random preset (same function as included extra shortcut)
v 0.56 Fixed a bug that could cause an error when a new song opened when tool was open still
v 0.55 GUI Added instrument slot selector, and extra status messages
v 0.54 GUI enlarged a bit
v 0.53 improves random selection functions to maximise variation
v 0.52 Fix to make random selection better when opening the GUI multiple times quickly

Click For Related Thread

-- random number
  --get os.time() as a seed
  local t = os.time()

--as os.time() updates slowly we multiply it by random number (502) before
  --passing to randomseed
  t = t * math.random(1,502)
  math.randomseed(t)

--get random number based on os.time()
  local ran_num = math.random(1, num_available_insts)

v 0.51
-Plugin GUI now opens on loading
-Newly loaded track devices now become the selected device

5 Likes

v 0.51

• Plugin GUI now opens on loading,
  • Newly loaded track devices now become the selected device

v0.52

• Fix to make random selection better when opening the GUI multiple times quickly

math.randomseed fix

Click For Related Thread

--random number
  --get os.time() as a seed
  local t = os.time()
  --as os.time() updates slowly we multiply it by random number before passing to randomseed
  math.randomseed((t * math.random(1,500)))
  --get random number based on os.time()
  local ran_num = math.random(1, num_available_insts)

v 0.53 improves random selection functions to maximise variation

v 0.54 GUI enlarged a bit

1 Like

v 0.55 GUI Added instrument slot selector, and extra status messages

1 Like

Thanks Ledger cant thank you enough for the wonderful tools you make

1 Like

Glad they’re getting use!

Having another scripting burst at the moment trying to get my plugins all sorted at the same time. Between this tool and the new Tagged Plugin Tool, I’m finally getting more on top of the VST folder! Also with using the windows search app:

Pretty handy to weed out folders containing vst doubles/ stuff to delete. You can just type in the vst name and the extension: dll and get all instances/ folders. Great search prog to use generally.

Also, I see you linked to my profile posts, but if you want an easier list to dig through, I’m still updating this thread as I go along:

1 Like

v 0.56 Fixed a bug that could cause an error when a new song opened when tool was open still

Not common that plugs have presets available to the host, but added a random preset button for when they do. It turns green when presets are available.

Freeware example that this works with:

Ran Plug 0.57 hilight

v 0.57 Added a Preset button next to the instrument slot selector. If a plug has presets that are selectable in renoise then the button will turn green. Press to load a random preset (same function as included extra shortcut)

1 Like

v 0.58 upgraded the Preset button random search method

Tools Site

-V0.59 Added:
When the sampler is focused with a selected fx device chain, the plug will load the effect there instead of to the main track.

1 Like

Nice tool! Is there something similar for randomly selecting a sample? It would probably need to let you categorize the samples though to make the most use of it so you don’t end up getting a loop vs one shot or a related selection.

Sample selection like you say would be a lot more tricky if you want categorisation.

I did make a suggestion for a native feature that that simply chooses a sample to prehear in the selected renoise directory. Still would be very handy I think:

1 Like

That would still be pretty cool if they implemented your suggestion.

1 Like

Mine is saying this…
‘C:\Users\Alexa\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.4.1\Scripts\Tools\ledger.scripts.RandomPlug.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (scripts) for assistance…

main.lua:324: attempt to index field ‘?’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
main.lua:324: in function ‘get_random_instrument’
main.lua:597: in function main.lua:596

It seems to load Effects okay but it can’t seem to load Instruments

Hi Alexander,

This seems to be specific to your plugs/ system, so it’s difficult to know what the problem is. Can have a go at diagnosing though:

Could your run this script and copy and paste the results here in a post (or PM if preferred as it lists all the instruments on your system).

You will need to hilight a bit of the text in the dialog first then use Ctrl + A to hilight all the text. Then copy and paste into your post/PM.

ledger.scripts.TestInstrumentProperties_V1.xrnx (1008 Bytes)

Keybind to run the tool is Instrument Checker