What feature are you hoping for in upcoming Renoise releases?

A regularly working developer team, which has the motivation to drive a more public strategy, including to spend more time with Renoise development in their lifes, or searching for programmers which will do this job for them. Not sticking to the oldest ideas in Renoise, which might be outdated nowadays. That said, I am happy with any progress, and VST3 in Renoise will be an extremely nice addition for me already.

10 Likes

Official collaboration with Polyend Tracker

I was attracted to the tracker paradigm by the hardware Polyend Tracker, so having the granular control of samples would be great as ‘long term’ I would love to see Renoise play all aspects of a loaded PT (.mod file?) and increased compatibility for swapping between the two.

The PT would make a great HW controller for Renoise, be great to see it pre-mapped.

Most importantly (and the single feature that won me over on the hardware tracker) is the auto fill. I have taken the liberty of paraphrasing this from the PT Manual as this would be amazing in Renoise as having selectable scales then random or Euclidian fills is getting in to modular territory.

Fill tools

Random – with selectable density in %, randomly fill steps within the selection,
Euclidean – set a number of events from 1 to 32 to generate a rhythmic pattern.
How evenly spaced the resulting pattern is will depend on how neatly the step
length divides by the number of events. For example, an eight-step sequence with
four events will result in an evenly-spaced pattern of one-hit every other step,
whereas an eight-step sequence with five events will result in a less even pattern
with hits falling on steps 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7.
Each 1-32 – evenly fills steps with the chosen interval within the selection,
Scale (only in Fill Note) – applies a chosen musical scale filter for the Note input,
Fx Type (only in Fill Fx) – pick one (or many random) Fx types to be filled into the
sequence steps. Please note that the Random Fx Type does not use the Tempo Fx for
filling,

Fill type:
Constant – fills the same chosen value for the selected steps,
From-To – fills in the selected area, evenly distributing the values within the
chosen range,
Random – randomly chooses the values within the selected range.

2 Likes

yep, the fill options & some of the pattern effects (like the “roll” fx) are pretty slick.

I think the “advanced edit” tab in Renoise would be a great candidate to pimp for such fill options. Of course everything can (and prolly already has been to an extend) be scripted in tools. The way these options are tied into the hardware tracker feel pretty unique, with the buttons to immediately access the parameters & jogwheel for altering values, if these would be added into Renoise, making them midi controllable besides keyboard shortcuts would be a must imo for achieving similar (quick) results.

2 Likes

I think better WYHIWYG (what you hear is what you get).

I spend lot of time last days to figure out why some of my mixes sounds different than Renoise play. Not very much different, but enough to start investigating this problem.

First - I check frequency option in settings - but that was dead end. Problem with different working of some plugins on different frequencies are known and described on many forums, so it’s not Renoise fault.

Then I starts working with different output types (ASIO, 32 bits instead of 16) and… after 32 bits was set, differences are gone! Well, Renoise supposed to preview always in best resolution and decrease number of bits at last stage - just before output (if user choose to work with 16 bit resolution). I think now it works different so the more channels, the more silent sounds, the differences are bigger (because final mix is always calculated good).

Second - if render to sample is paid option, let it work exactly how I setup VST instrument, with all effects included.

Third problem - in new version keyboard handling was changed (even if probably nobody noticed that). So it interfere with my other program. My procedure to watch if Renoise is running (for disable some shortcut keys in my system) not working well with new Renoise. So back to “classic” keyboard support will be good.

Also - font is different now. It will be good if I can choose between old, bolder one and new, light one.

Last, but maybe it’s only my lack of knowledge - when I was on channel 12, graph changes font color a little. It’s too subtle difference - maybe some background color change of active sound graph?

• 16 macros for instrument, or more.
  • Continuity in API improvements and their expansion. There are still things to polish.
  • From the API, ability to overlay already set MIDI mapping settings, without losing it entirely.

There are a lot of details here and there that could be improved

On the other hand, with version 3.2.4 on Win10 x64 and using tools related to handling MIDI input, renoise crashes with no error reports. I don’t know what the cause is.

I suppose it is still very important to keep trial and error testing in multiple circumstances to keep the software as stable as possible. It would not be surprising that with the new VST3 support and MIDI control there may be stability problems.

2 Likes

Deeper more advanced modulation possibilities, more vst directories, better and more advanced time stretching (non real-time would be fine) , microtonal capabilities, being able to create and save tuning templates the same way in which dsp chains and modulation presets are saved. More advanced groove settings and a greater ability to control them. Better wave editing in the sample editor, would like to see sound forge/reaper type editing capabilities.The ability to load and save text files and also a calculator.

1 Like

fx layer device (found in Bitwig in Ableton as well)

• ability to create parallel chains within the single mixer track. With the dedicated solo and mute buttons, and volume for each chain. (Bitwig FX Layer device is great to take a look at)
3 Likes

VST3 support.

After reading another thread it looks like this is happening!!

1 Like

i would like to see xjadeo implementation if possible - like in ardour/mixbus, so we can finally compose for video at ease.

Multi selection of DSP lanes, reflected in the API

I would like to suggest multi selection of DSPs in the dsp lane and mixer view, reflected in the API. This would make a lot of new tools possible. You can already somehow emulate multi selection of DSPs in the api, but it will be ugly.

Route midi / note data to the fx chains

grafik

Then we could put VSTis into the FX chain, setup a whole instrument setting including fx, and parallel routing and then put it into a preset. Also then you could trigger multiple instruments at once with a single note. The abstraction layer instrument / fx chain could be used with its full potential.

As a bonus, the whole VSTi/VST layer could be activated for Redux, too!

5 Likes

ARM support in Linux (pi400)

2 Likes

Couple ideas:

1. Ix and Ox in the Volume Column without the 10x multiplier (similar to U and D in MT2’s volume column).
  2. Use Ctrl+Shift+I (nice feature btw) on selected region, not just the whole column.

Thanks for Renoise!

Init CC on load :slight_smile: - did a post on it here: Init midi CC on song load

There will be a ton of new hardware trackers on Kickstarter if that happens :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For heavy VST users like me what would be cool is :

1. Freeze track feature (I know there was a tool for that), or a way to render VST instruments to sample INCLUDING the effects (instruments effects or track effects).
  2. Tool to see CPU consumption and latency for each VST instrument/effect
  3. That send tracks could be put anywhere

Thanks to the developers for keeping Renoise alive!

1 Like

1st - less cpu usage
2nd - less cpu load
3rd - less cpu usage
4th - " "
5th - " "
edit:
6th - imply the WASAPI (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/samples/microsoft/windows-universal-samples/windowsaudiosession/)- in enhanced mode. So no Windows user will ever comply, that he can`t use Renoise, while looking at his favourite videos.

2 Likes

Graphically view the sample in the modulator envelopes ( viewing post modulation result would be cool )

layout

13 Likes

Is there a way for your vst folder to start out as everything closed when u open it ? That would make it alot more transparant.

2 Likes

Perhaps scriptable?

I know I have seen it thrown out there before, but multiple song Templates would be pretty useful. I think I saw a Tool for this but would still like to see it as a native option. Such a trivial thing yet very useful, at least for the way I work.

1 Like