DEVs on what you are currently working on? Redux update?

Hi

As a potential customer i want to know official answer for this question:DEVs on what you are currently working on? Redux update? Just simple Yes/No. I guess it would be honest from your side to confirm (or not) something about Redux.

Regards,

AM

As taktik said:

we’re currently indeed busy with something else which has nothing directly to do with Renoise, but may benefit it on a long term

You should assume that “nothing directly to do with Renoise” refers to the whole Renoise/Redux family, since they are very tightly linked.

It’s something else that’s being worked on: something non-Renoise, non-Redux.

^^ Surprised there has been no speculation extravaganza on this!

My money is on a hardware device… Serious GAS potential and the Octatrack is looking a bit long in the tooth these days :stuck_out_tongue:

I was pretty sure that they were working on making the doofer thing a VST effect. But after dblue’s comment above, it seems to be entirely unrelated to Renoise/Redux. Then it could be anything.

Thank you for detailed answer, Dblue.

But any fixes for Redux is possible in this year (like it will be for Renoise)?

I’m wondering why paid users aren’t a little upset that there’s been no updates for a year to either renoise or redux?

Releasing doofers as a vst effect would actually be AWESOME imo… I’d definitely purchase that in a heartbeat.

But also it would be nice to know that the existing products are getting attention too… I also kinda feel like DFD in the sampler engine would be soooo nice to have (for loading huge multisampled instruments), or improved sfz support (sfz files don’t appear in the redux browser, for example, and many opcodes are yet to see support), or better slicing tools (the current ones are way bad for what I usually do, which is just to split by a set number of regions eg. 4 regions for a certain loop), or better humanise options or even simple stuff like random panning per-sample… my point is there really are things renoise/redux could do…

I’m super impressed both programs work so well on new updates to mac os, with zero new updates, and shows the skill and foresight of the developers. I guess it’s also lucky… but what happens if something breaks down the line? I’m a little worried about the future :frowning:

I’m wondering why paid users aren’t a little upset that there’s been no updates for a year to either renoise or redux?

Because it’s the post-hope-phase in here: After the last hope there comes the depression/resignation. Quite normal. Therefore some people turn to cynicism, some to pure rage and some simply crying all night long.But also some heroes still are fighting for the good! Hail danoise, joule and all those great tool coderz!

Because it’s the post-hope-phase in here: After the last hope there comes the depression/resignation. Quite normal. Therefore some people turn to cynicism, some to pure rage and some simply crying all night long.But also some heroes still are fighting for the good! Hail danoise, joule and all those great tool coderz!

And some people simply turn away in silence.

I still kinda like Renoise, but whenever I open it, it’s like meeting a former lover – we used to have a great time, but we both know things have changed and life went on. It’s ok.

Releasing doofers as a vst effect would actually be AWESOME imo… I’d definitely purchase that in a heartbeat.

But also it would be nice to know that the existing products are getting attention too… I also kinda feel like DFD in the sampler engine would be soooo nice to have (for loading huge multisampled instruments), or improved sfz support (sfz files don’t appear in the redux browser, for example, and many opcodes are yet to see support), or better slicing tools (the current ones are way bad for what I usually do, which is just to split by a set number of regions eg. 4 regions for a certain loop), or better humanise options or even simple stuff like random panning per-sample… my point is there really are things renoise/redux could do…

I’m super impressed both programs work so well on new updates to mac os, with zero new updates, and shows the skill and foresight of the developers. I guess it’s also lucky… but what happens if something breaks down the line? I’m a little worried about the future :frowning:

Forget Dude, I think its not a problem. Any time i thinking Renoise team is to small and this fact to bad becuese its problem for new features and bla bla bla. But if You try to read and used all funktion in renoise You dont need relise to new version so many long time.

ps

sorry for my english )))

Now when i know official answer i just don’t care anymore because know that developers don’t care about simple things for improvements. Just don’t want to think about my FR that i wrote here at the beginning of the year, already forgot about all this suggestions… Saving money for other DAW now.

And some people simply turn away in silence.

I still kinda like Renoise, but whenever I open it, it’s like meeting a former lover – we used to have a great time, but we both know things have changed and life went on. It’s ok.

Wow, this is cool. Makes me a bit jealous to read, to be too honest :stuck_out_tongue: Something still holds me back from developing like this, because there is something about Renoise. Something like magic for me. It happens more often in Renoise here than in other DAWs. Maybe it’s the excel look for German (and Finnish) bureaucrats :smashed:. No, it’s the very well defined structure in multiple layers. Feels like beauty to me. Something you don’t wanna miss anymore. But maybe I just did not work for a long enough time with “traditional” DAWs. Or maybe I just need an exorcist.

You might find my way of view stupid or obsessed. At least I don’t think so.

Well, I am currently trying to achieve this with Bitwig. Also has the potential to become my religion. If there wasn’t the concept of the piano roll (puke, because of the lack of overview inside). Overview and faaast workflow are the buzzwords for me. :drummer:

improved sfz support (sfz files don’t appear in the redux browser, for example, and many opcodes are yet to see support),

Strange, sfz files appear just fine here. Depending on what tab you’re in (Instr/Sample/Other), you might need to enable the “show all files” button (.) ?
I know that certain opcodes are vendor specific and as such, not recognized by Redux. But if there are some obvious omissions, or worse, downright bugs, they should definitely be added/fixed.

better slicing tools (the current ones are way bad for what I usually do, which is just to split by a set number of regions eg. 4 regions for a certain loop)

Your best bet for equally-spaced slices is to switch the waveform select to snap to “beats”. Then, it’s not that hard to insert markers precisely.
But, yes, it would be nice to see such a basic feature, without having to resort totools (especially in a Redux context, as this means switching to Renoise)

However, IF you like to dabble with tools then it’s probably good to know that the user library is shared among Renoise + Redux. So, no matter where you save it from, it’s instantly available in the other one too.

better humanise options or even simple stuff like random panning per-sample… my point is there really are things renoise/redux could do…

Well, there is a lot of different techniques for this kind of thing

• Using the LFO or stepper device set to random in the modulation > panning domain, for various degrees of control over the randomization.
  • Stacking samples in the keyzone and choosing random as the “overlap” option
  • Using a phrase with maybe commands (Yxx) to choose from a pool of samples (including sample FX)

What Redux DOESN’T have (that I would like to see) is the ability to slightly randomize the start time… It’s a simple, but good trick for making sounds more “analog” sounding.

I know that certain opcodes are vendor specific and as such, not recognized by Redux. But if there are some obvious omissions, or worse, downright bugs, they should definitely be added/fixed.

What Redux DOESN’T have (that I would like to see) is the ability to slightly randomize the start time… It’s a simple, but good trick for making sounds more “analog” sounding.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Regarding SFZ, mainly things related to that I’ve noticed go wrong occasionally (a global default file location for example), or basic envelopes don’t appear to get assigned at all in many cases even with sfz1 opcodes.

I totally agree about random start times! It’s a fantastic trick that I wish so much renoise supported. I tend to randomise a lot of things on samplers (I make a lot of 80s pads), and tend to subtly randomise a lot of things by small amounts to feel more natural (panning, volume, sample start).

Another thing worth thinking about is probably proper time stretching, but again, we are just sort of shouting out things renoise COULD be doing but really what I was talking about was just maintenance releases - that’s all I’m really asking for in the end… many people replied saying renoise doesn’t need more features, and while I may disagree, I would be satisfied and less worried if I knew that it would actually continue to be supported. And if the devs really are giving up, naive and optimistic opinion here but open source it or something and let the world benefit.

What Redux DOESN’T have…

Omg… about what you’re talking here?? Redux DOESN’T have SIMPLE volume slider for samples preview in browser!

Just look at TAL software where one man (or at least two) created so many great Instruments! Look at his Sampler… I do not bought it ONLY because it has not multi output support. This guys update all their products constantly with a nice features and improvements and seems only Renoise team EVERYTIME working on something else except software that they already have.

P.S.: Redux is about 1,5 year with no update facepalm.

Now when i know official answer i just don’t care anymore because know that developers don’t care about simple things for improvements. Just don’t want to think about my FR that i wrote here at the beginning of the year, already forgot about all this suggestions… Saving money for other DAW now.

Wow this is ridiculous.

Writing software is sometimes a bit of a painful and thankless task. Seemingly small feature requests can balloon into a world of pain, because it requires a whole rewrite of underlying core code.

But for a small company to survive, one can’t throw all your eggs in one basket, so you have to diversify the product offering to generate different revenue streams that often swallow up much time to get off the ground. I understand that, but I also understand that it might not be that obvious to those that don’t have experience in making software. Given that big companies like Adobe that charge hundreds for updates that essentially amount to 2 small features and bug fixes - dropping ~£60 (a pair of jeans?) on this pretty full featured software and getting an update once or twice a year - you have to see things in context.

I have feature requests that probably align with many others around here, so it’s probably not worth my mentioning them. But I might :wink:

Writing software is sometimes a bit of a painful and thankless task. Seemingly small feature requests can balloon into a world of pain, because it requires a whole rewrite of underlying core code.

+1 i’m not really a programmer myself and its easy to minimise the work needed for ‘small’ improvements imho. Reading threads like this one i always ask myself how much work it is to implement some of my wishlist ‘small’ things, as example the much brought up sample start/sample end modulation. is it just slabbing another two anchor widgets in sample view + adjusting the phasor read speed in the sample engine in regard SR? cool this might work statically. oh but wait, if you want to modulate it, how does it get recalculated in realtime? oh and it clicks, yeah needs some crossfading too, oh and it needs a pattern command too, etc… When thinking about a feature i miss in software i always try to think along with devs first.

That said i would pay double for Renoise if development cycles were more frequent. Its’ not a full fledged DAW, and i accepted that a long time ago. But it holds a very special place for quickly sketching, i can run it on a friggin’ chromebook, crossplatform, it has one of the closest integration of sampler/sequencer possible in audio software + for many genres mature enough to create a decent production. I think it’s much better then some other audio apps from small dev teams we’ve seen last 15years. But i also think devs could make their lives easier in certain small areas, for example including some jsfx thing/LUAjit compiler so the community can create their own dsp fx. No reason anymore to bitch about inferior internal FX, go program it yourself :slight_smile:

Omg… about what you’re talking here??

Options for randomizing vel/pan/pitch

It’s something else that’s being worked on: something non-Renoise, non-Redux.

Is it Glitch 3? :slight_smile:

Somebody told me it’s a video editor… :panic: